Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I have a question for an ophthalmologic expert. I am 38yrs

I have a question for an ophthalmologic expert. I am 38yrs old, have been wearing glasses for nearsighted/astigmatism for about 12 years. I recently had an exam in order to get a new prescription and have been having problems with the vision in my left eye (the severe astigmatism) with the new glasses. I often find myself closing the eye while reading, adjusting my glasses, and cleaning the lenses in an effort of gaining better vision. Just today while yet again cleaning my glasses I gave my eyes a rub, and with my fingers of each hand on the right and left eye, I notice a significant difference between the size of the two. The left eye seems to be protruding a bit, especially on the outer area nearest my ear.
Could the pressure from sinusitis cause this? What doctor should I see?

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Customer:

thankyou

Dr. Rick :

No. Pressure from sinusitis would not cause your eyes to protrude from your orbital rim (exophathalmos)

Customer:

what might then?

Dr. Rick :

There are a number of things that can cause this however, kinda rubbing your eyes with your fingers isn't really a very sensitive tool for picking up any difference between the amount of protrusion of your eyeballs....

Dr. Rick :

It is called a hertel exophthalmometer and every ophthalmologist has one (not optometrists)

Dr. Rick :

A visit to an ophthalmologist for a complete eye exam will be able to easily uncover any pathology you might have in this regard as well as, hopefully, figure out why you are having problems with your new glasses.

Customer:

well, I don't take my situation lightly. I actually spent quite a bit of time comparing the two by touch, and there is a marked difference. There is some tenderness as well. I also seem to have been experiencing a pinched nerve higher up to the left of my neck, just into the hairline.

Dr. Rick :

Sounds like you should see an ophthalmologist for a complete exam.

Customer:

guess so. thanks for your time. I would have appreciated a clue as to what is going on so that I might be prepared for the appt.

Dr. Rick :

Do you notice any difference in the amount of white you can see around your eyeballs when you look in the mirror? This is also a pretty good indication.

Dr. Rick :

What would you like to know about the appointment to evaluate this condition?

Customer:

actually yes, my left eye is red from tear duct under the colored part of my eye, and on toward the outer eye.

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Well, during the exam your eyeglass Rx will be carefully checked, then your pupil function. Then your eye pressure will be tested and your eyes closely examined at the slit lamp. Your eyeball protrusion will be measured with the instrument mentioned above and then your eyes will be dilated. Once dilated your entire lens, vitreous and retina will be examined. The drops will take about 4 5o 6 hours to wear off, but you should have no problems driving home with sunglasses.

Dr. Rick :

There is nothing special you need to do to prepare yourself to be examined.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense?

Customer:

yes, thanks, XXXXX XXXXX I had worried that because I take a synthetic thyroid med, perhaps it should be tested. Not something that my eye doctor does. There are many reasons that the eye can swell, seem tender, no?

Customer:

I'll just accept now. thanks.