Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

lenses..article on the Jules Styne Eye Clinic cite..cataract surgery

Why must cataracts develop to a stage where you can brely ee, even with prescription lenses? I read an article on the Jules Styne Eye Clinic cite that cataract surgery does not necessarily have to be delayed until that point. Being an instant gratification type, but not a big baby about it, why not opt for seeing more clearly now rather than later. i like myfocus sharp and defined. Unless it's Lady Gaga. Blurry works okay forme there, :)
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 5 years ago.

Dr. James :

Hello.

Dr. James :

What is the level of your vision with glasses?

Dr. James :

20/20? 20/30?...20/40?

Dr. James :

What types of activities are you not able to do because of your current vision?
Driving? Reading? other hobbies?

Dr. James :

Hello?

Customer:

fWatch films with subtitles, read smqll print on medicine bottles, read street signs, drive at night, read it the type 12 point or above, my correction is 20/30 but with astigmatism in one ee, I always feel as if I need to be right on top of something to read. Use dedicted computer glasses, and dedicated reading glasses. ohmygosh, I know I sound like a baby but I guess on top of the practicality, this is also an issue of aesthetics. enchancement. I was the only six greater I knew (girl) who LOVED getting glasses. For me, it's both corrective and metaphorical. I want to take everything in to the best suited magification and clarification. PS: I'm a writer/ I firmlynbelieve I have computer screen degeneration. :)

Customer:

IJjust gave a detailed reply. I don't see ithere. It's with Dr. James.

Dr. James :

Hello.

Dr. James :

Cataract surgery has change dramatically over the last few years and is very safe. With every procedure, you must weigh the risk and benefits of the procedure.

Dr. James :

If you see 20/20, then the potential benefit to improve your vision further is lower versus if your vision is 20/80 or so.

Dr. James :

Other factors that come into play regarding the timing of surgery has to do with health insurance. Medicare has adopted certain guidelines that helps decide when a cataract is bad enough. Many other insurances follow medicare guidelines as well. The vision is usually 20/40 worse to qualify for surgery.

Dr. James :

Vision alone does not tell you how bad things are. There are other tests your doctor can do to justify the surgery. 20/30 in your case is borderline. It does sound as if you may benefit from surgery.

Dr. James :

You may benefit from a second opinion if you don't agree with your current doctor.

Dr. James :

Please remember to press accept so I can receive credit for assisting you today.