Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

i have had a macular odema behind my left eye. the sweliing

i have had a macular odema behind my left eye. the sweliing massive after ayear and half of lucintis injections a specialis injected steroids into it it contolled the swelling eventually came down and . I have permentaly lost some vsiosn in that eye. Now suddenly i have blurred vision in the right eye. the specialist gave me dropps maxidex and said we will see you in a month. At the moment my world is blurred and i am relying on my left eye to see. i cant read this email a struggle and panicing how i will keep my job
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

I can understand your concern. It is possible that the cause of the decreased vision in your right eye is from something other then wet macular degeneration. Is the person who gave you the Maxidex the same ophthalmologist who has been giving you the lucentis injections in your other eye?

Customer:

Hi . I am 40 healthy and fit however have developed these eye issues over the last two years.....no one seems to give cause lets just do this try this for a month and we will wait and see.

Customer:

i worry now what used to be my good eye is also having problems..

Dr. Rick :

Do you know what the problem with your left eye was called?

Customer:

Yes the first eye doctoe i dont think he belived me and it took so long to get help. this new fellow says he can see a little fluid building behind the eye. try these drops and come back in a month. then he might do some injection with dye.

Dr. Rick :

was it called central serous retinopathy?

Customer:

my left eye issue was mauclar odeama. severe swelling..behind the eye.. the 3 d xray thing they took shows you eye with huge red swelling area. this has since subsided and now have perment loss.. so you can see why i concernd now with problems of my good eye...

Dr. Rick :

In my experience topical use of Maxidex will not do much, if anything, to impact any swelling in the retina.

Customer:

the good eye had some sort of scratching behind the eye and he thought i may have lid and eye stuck together problems. that has stopped but now i have very blurred vision.. obviously by th epelling miastakes here.. i worry that this could all be part of a bigger problem what is your thoughts

Dr. Rick :

Ok. that makes more sense when it comes to the use of maxidex. I bet you have a combination of a few things going on, such as mild dry eyes, perhaps allergies (even though it is winter in your part of the world right now), and -- most likely -- blepharitis. Many doc's use topical drops, such as maxidex, to combat these issues.

Dr. Rick :

I believe that there is a better way to make you feel better and improve your vision.....

Dr. Rick :

What should you do? Well, when it comes to allergies it is almost impossible to pin down the offending agent(s) and, therefore, treatment needs to focus on controlling the symptoms. Dry eyes are very common and can be improved by a stepwise series of therapies. First, the use of natural tears 4-6+ times/day to augment your natural tear production, if this doesn’t work then you can try temporary punctal occlusion of the lower puncta, then, if needed, temporary occlusion of all 4 puncta then, if indicated, surgical ( non-reversible) closure of the puncta. The openings to your tear drainage system are called puncta and you have one opening on each lid, near your nose.

Blepharitis is a condition where glands in the eyelids are not functioning normally. They become plugged and instead of putting out their normal clear, oily secretions, they put out thick, toothpaste like gunk. You may not be able to see this “gunk” yourself, unless it is really bad, but it shows up clearly on slit lamp examination.

The best treatment for this condition daily lid scrubs combined with warm compresses. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on your eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.

Baby shampoo lid scrubs will also help to wash away allergens and stimulate tear production, thereby addressing all three of your issues. Remember, this is not an instant fix. While you are waiting for the lid scrubs to have affect you can use over the counter allergy pills such as Travist, dimetapp or Zyrtec.

Should your symptoms get worse, your vision become significantly affected or things just not get better in 3 weeks or so you should have a complete eye examination by your local ophthalmologist to look for other, less common, causes of your symptoms.

Dr. Rick :

You can continue using the maxidex, but the solution will be found in the simple home treatment I've outlined above.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

Are you still there, mate? :o)

Dr. Rick :

We don't get to say "mate" very often here in Wisconsin so I just couldn't resist lol!

Customer:

very funny..yes it does.. the dry eye thing was only recent.. and seems to have subsided the vision loss however has got very bad and now very hard to read at all.. i am unsure of when to start getting very concerned.. i didnt worry before and now haVE LOST SIGHT.. CANT AFORD TO DO IT AGAIN.

Dr. Rick :

I can understand completely how you are feeling. Have you noticed if the decrease in vision is at all distances or is it mostly at near/close?

Customer:

BEFORE THIS EYE WAS PLAYING UP I WAS HOPING TO GET READING GLASSES.. YOU KNOW ONCE EVERYTHING SETTLED.. BUT THIS TIME EYE THE PROBLEM IS CLOSE UP I SEE EVERY SECOND LETTER AND A LITTLE CLEARER BUT FAR AWAY ITS JUST A CLOUD.

Dr. Rick :

The good news is, unlike the the last time you had visual difficulties, you are now under the care of, what sounds to be, an excellent ophthalmologist. If she thought your vision problems were do to retinal issues she would have jumped right in and started fixing things quickly. Instead, this time, she believes it is an issue of your anterior segment/tear film. This, thankfully, is a much easier fix then a retina problem.

Dr. Rick :

It does sound like you need reading glasses to me. Go to the dime store (or the Australian equivalent) and buy some cheap reading glasses, say in a +1.50 power. Try them at the store -- I bet they will help.

Dr. Rick :

Also, when your tear film is better you should have your ophthalmologist check you for distance glasses....you've managed to live long enough to, perhaps, need bifocals.

Customer:

BIFOCAL HARD TO HIDE ONES AGE WERING THOSE. THANKYOU FOR YOUR ADVICE I DO FEEL BETTER IF SOE WHAT CONCERNED. REGARDS SHEREE

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.