Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

My two and a half year old granddaughter has a squint and has

My two and a half year old granddaughter has a squint and has been diagnosed with 3 over 5 vision in one eye and 3 over 24 in the other - presumably the squinting eye. We have been told that occlusion therapy may be the way forward - what is this please and what is the prognosis. Your advice would be much appreciated Michael Gardner
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

I have to step away from my computer for a couple of minutes.....I'll be right back.

Customer:

My two and a half year old granddaughter Isabel has a squint and has been diagnosed with 3over 5 vision in one eye and 3over 24 in the other - presumably the squinting one. We have been advised that occlusion therapy may be the way forward. Does this make sense and what is the long term porognosis?

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm back. Sorry about the delay.

Customer:

Have you received my message?

Dr. Rick :

Yes. It does make sense. First, she will have to be fitted with her correct prescription glasses. Then the BEST seeing eye will be patched for a variable amount of time per day (you doctor -- hopefully an ophthalmologist -- will tell you the duration of patching per day. This duration is based on a number of clinical findings and customized for your granddaughter.

Dr. Rick :

When her vision has improved, and become equal, in both eyes the "maintenance" patching will, most likely, need to be done for a number of years. She may also need eye muscle surgery to straighten out her eyes if glasses alone are not enough for them to remain straight.

Dr. Rick :

This is the standard of care for your granddaughters condition.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

This treatment is highly successful and your granddaughter should have very excellent vision for her lifetime.

Customer:

Makes sense - you seem pretty certain that the vision will improve - experience must have shown that the treatment in the long run must be effective in correcting the problem if it is dealt with early on is this so?

Dr. Rick :

that is correct. The sooner treatment starts the better. Once again, a pediatric ophthalmologist is the best trained person to deal with this issue....although I know in the UK it can be difficult to get to see a specialist.

Dr. Rick :

Are you still there?

Customer:

Yes Doctor and thank you - it is more or less what I expected to hear but very helpful. I have 3 other young grandchildren aged 3 and under - is it too early to have their eyes checked if there is nothing obviously wrong with them?

Dr. Rick :

No. It is possible for a pediatric ophthalmologist to do a very through examination of a newborn infant if necessary so feel free to have your other grandchildren examined at any time -- that their Mothers will let you, that is :o)

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

Have a good day.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.