Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

had a new cornea graft 2 months ago, now my retina is detached,

had a new cornea graft 2 months ago, now my retina is detached, dr. wants to do a vit- laser procedure on a retina with scar tissue due to an accident. are the chances of sight worth the procedure, and what is the recovery time?
Submitted: 5 years ago via HealthBoards.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

do you know the extent of the retinal detachment? Is your macula (the central part of your retina that is used for every day visual tasks) detached already?

Customer:

yes

Dr. Rick :

Do you mean to say that your macula is involved?

Customer:

dont know, but dr said it was detached big time

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Well, retina is what I do and have been doing for almost 2 decades. I lean strongly toward the side of repairing the retina. If you do nothing you will, for sure, go lights out blind in that eye and, just might, end up loosing the entire eyeball. You have gone through too much with the corneal transplant to give up now :)

Customer:

what is my recovery time for returning to work, in a rock quarry? and what is the recovery procedure?

Dr. Rick :

What do you do in the rock quarry?

Customer:

load dump truck and haul rock ,mildly dusty

Dr. Rick :

This is big surgery as far as eyes goes. There are a number of different surgical approaches to repairing your detachment. From what you stated it sounds like your doc is planning on a vitrectomy/gas-fluid exchange with endolaser.

Dr. Rick :

Being in a heavy dump truck is kinda bouncy.....I'd probably say you should stay out of that truck for 4 weeks or so, depending on what type of surgery your doc does and how well you heal.

Customer:

what does the recovery procedure involve

Dr. Rick :

If you have a eye full of gas after the surgery you may have to position your head in a certain way while the gas is present. Depending on the gas used (SF6 or C3F8) that might mean 4 or 5 days or a few weeks. You will have to use drops (much like you are doing/did after your graft) and keep from any heavy lifting or bending while the laser "welds take"

Dr. Rick :

This is, of course, all variable on what is found during the surgical repair or your retina, what combination of surgical techniques are used and how things go after the surgery.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

yes, thank you

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Best of luck in your upcoming surgery. It sounds like you are in good hands.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.