Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I have loss of vision in left eye lasts for about 20 min starts

I have loss of vision in left eye lasts for about 20 min starts off as a pinpoint the branches out with bright colored light then finially fades to like the back of my eye, no pain at all, can floresent light trigger this,??? I have suffered from this since a child and now am 59 I shake all over from being scared,,,, thank you Fran I am experiencing it now, it's comming to an end thank god
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. There is no reason for you to be afraid. You don't have a brain tumor (everyone thinks it's a brain tumor first.....) and you are not heading toward a stroke.

Dr. Rick :

What you are experiencing is called an ocular migraine.

Dr. Rick :

A typical migraine headache starts with shimmering lights, often times they surround a blurry area or have dots or jaggedly lines associated with them. They tend to progressively increase in intensity and sometimes march across the visual field causing difficulty with reading. Many times this is then accompanied by nausea, irritability, sensitivity to bright lights and/or loud noises. After the onset of the lights (called scintillating scotomas), the headache typically starts and the light show tends to progressively go away.

Many people can have this migraine phenomenon without the headache; it is called an acephalgic migraine. Some people even start having these late in life, or may have had a few much earlier in life that behaved differently and haven't had any for decades and then begin to have them; this is not uncommon. A family history of migraines is often present as well.

This is nothing to worry about. It is not a sign of a more serious underlying condition, brain tumor or anything like that. If the episodes become so frequent that they are bothersome there are medicines that can be used to decrease their frequency or stop an episode once it has started.

Dr. Rick :

I, personally, have been suffering from this condition for almost 30 years. I almost never got the headaches after the visual effects and, hopefully, this will continue to be your experience.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

Hi. Welcome to chat. I was just working on your question....

Customer:

Yes thank you so much for I was starting to experience a panic attack because of it, I haven't had one in years and it still frightens me.. The first I ever heard of it being a migraine was about 10 yr ago I wish someone would of told me as a child , I could of warded off the panic attacks.. which I have suffered with because of the fear of going blind. could floresence light trigger this, I had just walked into office and there were 10 lights on, this also happenned in office 2 day ago

Dr. Rick :

There was one time, I was in the middle of a very delicate retina operation, when an attack started. After a few moments I, like you have noted, lost most of my central vision and the inferior part of my visual field. I, calmly, removed my surgical instruments from the patients eye and we all sat around in the OR for 15 minutes until my vision returned. Other then that my ocular migraines have not really caused me any significant problems :o)

Dr. Rick :

No. Florescent lights have not, to my knowledge, been linked to ocular migraines.

Customer:

OH my,,, how horrifying,, god bless you,, I am afraid of driving because of it

Dr. Rick :

I've had attacks while driving and, while it was a little tough, I was able to continue down the road without any real problems. I bet you would be OK too.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Customer:

Have you had more than one spell in one day?

Dr. Rick :

Yes....many times, especially when I was younger.

Dr. Rick :

Are you still there? Is there anything else you would like to ask me?

Customer:

Thank you,, no you have been a great help

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Enjoy the Packers today. They play at Noon CST (Just in case you didn't know and wanted to watch the game lol! I live in Wisconsin and Packer Football is a Mandatory State Religion :)

Customer:

my best friend 's home is WI and she will be so happy if they win!! She manages a koa in Florida now.. I'll have to call her!

Customer:

I'm on EST in NY state

Dr. Rick :

I'm sure she will be watching. The entire world has been infiltrated by Packer Fans.

Dr. Rick :

I trained in NYC.......

Customer:

lol yes

Customer:

I gave up on the Bills :(( i'm near buffalo

Dr. Rick :

It has been a pleasure chatting with you this morning. I'm glad you feel better now.

Dr. Rick :

I can understand that :)

Dr. Rick :

Have a good day. And, just in case you were wondering, it is safe for you to press the Pretty Green Button should you so desire. ;)

Customer:

Thank you I'm much calmer, not feeling so alone in the situation , I never talked with anyone who had this condition, makes me feel like I'm imaging it,, glad you have assured me i'm not alone

Customer:

ok bye now and thank you again

Dr. Rick :

I've treated tons of patients with this condition and it has always been helpful that I was able to relate to exactly what they were experiencing....

Dr. Rick :

bye.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest