Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

My daughter is 27 years old and suffers from diabetes type

My daughter is 27 years old and suffers from diabetes type 1 injecting; she was diagnosed with diabetes when she was 11, I always kept a close eye on her while living at home but even then she had two hypos and at one point secretly had stopped using her insulin stupidly thinking that this would make her normal, I had no idea until she very nearly died because of this. Anyway she moved out from home and I am now convinced she has not stuck to her diet because she had to go for lazier treatment recently and today she telephoned me to say that she had blown her nose hard and burst a blood vessel in her eye, I rushed to pick her up and take her to the hospital, at the hospital I explained to the receptionist that my daughter had burst a vessel in her eye and was also diabetic , after an hour and a half I again spoke to the receptionist and we were seen straight way, the nurse new nothing about this problem but telephoned an eye specialist who told her to send us to him on Tuesday. Now I’m not a doctor but this is serious I’m sure, my daughter can’t see out of her eye but the nurse said the body will clear the blood by the time we see the specialist, what should I do I have now read about this condition and am now frightened for my daughters sight.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

I can understand your concern for your daughter. First of all, what she has had is called a vitreous hemorrhage. Also, while she may not be following her diabetic diet while living on her own that, in and of itself, did not cause this problem....and I am sure she is just as scared as your are to try not to bring the diet up at this moment :)

Dr. Rick :

The blood will most likely not clear by the time your daughter is seen on Tuesday. Is there a chance that delaying her examination until then would cause problems? Yes.....If she was to have an undiagnosed retinal detachment, retinal tear or large hole. That being said, there is a very high probability that her retina is not detaching and waiting until Tuesday will allow the blood to settle so that the ophthalmologist can see her retina better and try to find the source of the bleeding. I

Dr. Rick :

If the blood has not cleared by Tuesday and Ultrasound can be done in the office to evaluate the retina.

Dr. Rick :

What should your daughter do until Tuesday? Well, for starters, NO running/jumping etc. She should not put her head below her waist at all, blow her nose, strain during bowel movements etc. She should also put some book, bricks or similar object under the legs at the head of her bed so that her head stays elevated while she sleeps. Two or three pillows might help too, although people tend to roll off of pillows while they sleep.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. We can use the Q&A system to 'text message' each other. An email will be sent to each of us every time something is posted to this thread.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic. If you would like, I'd be happy to help you to better explain what the ophthalmologist tells your daughter on Tuesday....let me know.

Take care.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Oops! My daughter came into the room and started talking to me as I was typing the above response. Can you tell what I was typing when she came in?

I was meaning to type: "happy to help you to better (understand) what the......"

Sorry about that. :)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank for your answer,

What would be my daughter’s long term prospects is it generally accepted that this condition leads to blindness; my daughter is in fact my step daughter I apologize for not making this clear, but I have been her father since she was 3 years. Her blood father also had diabetes and went blind and had many other complications leading to an early death at 52 years of age.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank for your answer,

What would be my daughter’s long term prospects is it generallyaccepted that this condition leads to blindness; my daughter is in fact my stepdaughter I apologize for not making this clear, but I have been her father sinceshe was 3 years. Her blood father also had diabetes and went blind and had manyother complications leading to an early death at 52 years of age.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
At this point I would not jump to the conclusion that she is on an irreversible road to blindness. I have a huge number of diabetic patients who have experienced an eye full of blood (vitreous hemorrhage) and, after treatment, have maintained 6/6 vision.

Even if your daughter has advanced diabetic retinopathy (PDR) with appropriate treatment (laser)and, if necessary, surgery, she should be able to maintain good vision.

So. What is the take home message? Don't despair. This setback doesn't mean that your daughter is destined to end up like her biological father -- going blind and ending up in an early grave.

In the long run this vitreous hemorrhage may very well serve as a wake up call to your daughter and get her on the right path as far as her diabetes is concerned. There is always a silver lining in every cloud if you just look hard enough :)

Let me know how things turn out on Tuesday and, if I can be of any further service, just drop me a note.

Take care and have a good day.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Doctor

We went for our appointment today I did not go in with my daughter to see the doctor perhaps I should have done, anyway he examined her eye and told her the blood was under the jelly bit at the back of her eye, I think meaning the retina, he said he could not do anything at this moment in time until the blood has dissipated and she should come back in a month, he told her not to worry. I must say that statement is beyond me.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
That is an entirely plausible response to a vitreous hemorrhage -- as long as she was examined by an ophthalmologist (MD).

Your daughter should continue to follow the directions I gave concerning activity etc. and follow up as scheduled. Should she notice a sudden increase in the amount of blood in her eye or any flashes lots of flashes of light she should call the ophthalmologist and be examined right away.

Does this make sense to you?
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Let me know how your daughter is doing and, please, feel free to contact me should you or your daughter have any other concerns.

It sounds like she is going to be OK.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD