Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

i have tearing from the OUTER corners of my eyes, more often

i have tearing from the OUTER corners of my eyes, more often the left. An eye doctor examined extensively and found nothing wrong, including not dry eyes. I'm very healthy in general. My vision is fine and nothing is being emitted except tears. But it's incredibly annoying and can go on for days, then stop. Can stop for months but lately has been very frequent. And it's changed in that it can stop and start, which it never used to do. Seems to be somewhat stress-linked but not obvious. Drops don't help. Getting lots of sleep and not getting it does affect it. I do have sensitive eyes but this is a separate issue. It leads to a headache when it's really bad. It's affecting my life. I'm going to try acupunture. Any suggestions?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 3 years ago.

Doctor DanB :

Hello and thanks for your question. How old are you?

Customer:

40

Doctor DanB :

Any itching?

Customer:

nothing to speak of

Doctor DanB :

Do you wake in the morning with any crusting or mattering of your eyelashes, irritation, or burning?

Customer:

no

Customer:

i've so explored all these questions and i understand why you're asking them but it's frustrating.

Customer:

i't just tearing from the OUTER corners, clear tears. when it's happening, any air affects it. when it's not happening, i can be in wind no problem.

Customer:

i have not tested for allergies yet as allergy medications don't help it.

Customer:

two things i've noticed: one, vitamin E oil helps more than anything ever has, applied to the outer sides, possibly inner upper lids?

Customer:

second thing: looking down seems to help? no idea but i'm trying so hard to listen to my body

Customer:

and one more thing: a slight noticing that heat seems to feel good on the lids

Doctor DanB :

Does blinking or closing your eyes seem to help?

Customer:

no

Customer:

i shouldn't answer so quickly, possibly closing them but not blinking

Doctor DanB :

The fact that heat helps this tends to make me think you may have an eyelid inflammation called blepharitis. It can lead to an unstable tear film, causing tearing. It is very often overlooked and not looked for at all by most eye doctors. Hot compresses are part of the treatment for this.

Customer:

i've read that when searching online. it's very subtle, the heat feeling good. what are the causes and treatments? my eye doctor tested very extensively when he checked me but i'm open.

Customer:

does tearing from the OUTER corners fit?

Customer:

with no real redness or pain?

Customer:

and can it start and stop?

Doctor DanB :

The causes are basically genetic; you either are a person that has or may end up having it or you don't. Tearing from anywhere on the eye is associated with it. You can absolutely have this with no redness or pain; it is usually so silent that the patient, nor the doctor see it or are looking for it. The treatment for it is thus...

Doctor DanB :

1. hot compresses and 2. eyelid scrubs. You should do hot compresses for 5-10 minutes over each eye at the same time. It should be as hot as you can tolerate without burning your skin, massaging the eyelids while they are on there. Then, use either commercially available preparations or a dilute baby shampoo solution to scrub your eyelashes on all 4 eyelids. The commercially available preparations are called Ocusoft or Sterilid which are both over-the-counter eyelash scrubbing treatments. These cost more money but are quicker to use. Otherwise, the cheaper alternative is the dilute baby shampoo (4-5 drops Johnson's shampoo in 1/4 cup warm water), you will take the wipe (or dip a qtip in the dilute baby shampoo solution) and use that to scrub right on the eyelashes of each eyelid for 15 seconds. That will take 60 seconds when done to all 4 eyelids. The scrubbing is done right on the eyelid margin, where the eyelashes come out. After that, just splash some water on the eyes and you're done.

It does take about 3-4 weeks of doing this consistently every day before it really kicks in, so don't stop it thinking it's not working. Also the eyes are still significantly dry during this 3-4 weeks so use the artificial tears you bought 4x/day in both eyes (one drop per application). After 4 weeks you should be able to start tapering off of the tears to as you need them.

Just doing the artificial tears, hot compresses and eyelid scrubs alone would likely start to help you after three or 4 weeks--but remember it could take this long of doing it everyday before you see a significant effect, so don't stop it thinking it's not working.

If you are a person that doesn't make their own tears very well, then you may also benefit from a prescription drop called Restasis, which actually modulates a person's immune system to help them make more of their own tears. This drop actually requires constant usage on a daily basis for up to 10-12 weeks before its effect kicks in (takes awhile to change the immune response in the body).

Doctor DanB :

Does that make sense?

Customer:

how do i know if it's this? when i look it up online, it doesn't sound like i have it but as i said, i'm certainly open

Customer:

artificial tears don't seem to do anything for me

Customer:

i'm very grateful to any possible cure

Customer:

for any possible cure

Doctor DanB :

The descriptions you read online are often of those people with demonstrative or significant cases of it. I see this all the time in my clinic and it is very common and very subtle for most people. The reason the tears don't help is because you aren't doing the other treatments at the same time. I would start doing all of the treatment concurrently that I just mentioned. If that's not helping, then I would go looking for a corneal specialist because that is the definitive type of doctor to see for this. Unfortunately, I can't examine you so I can't say for sure, but you sure sound like this is quite likely.

Customer:

is it just because of the heat or any other reasons? it has so eluded everyone and nothing online sounds exactly like it. makeup doesn't seem to be the culprit either. i've tried leaving it off, different brands etc.

Customer:

does vitamin E oil making it feel better indicate anything to you?

Customer:

and is it curable? you sound like it is.

Customer:

where is your clinic?

Doctor DanB :

Yes, it can help with tear film dysfunctions such as blepharitis can lead to. You're right on. It's not curable, but definitely treatable. I'm in the Pacific NW.

Customer:

does it make sense that it's more one eye?

Doctor DanB :

Treatable because it's just part of your DNA. Most people don't have to do much to keep up with it

Customer:

what do you generally do to keep up with it after the process you describe? and thank you

Customer:

and what's with the coming and going of it?

Doctor DanB :

The compresses and lid scrubs. You can have good days and bad days with it.

Customer:

anything cause that? like nutrition etc?

Customer:

how do I know if that's what I've "got" ?

Customer:

any definitive test?

Doctor DanB :

The only ways to know are to try out the treatments and/or see a corneal specialist. No definitive test unfortunately, but you sound like a ringer for it based on what I hear from you.

Customer:

okay thank you very much. anything else i should know about it? i really appreciate your help!

Customer:

i don't have any of the symptoms described online such as scaliness or redness or swelling

Doctor DanB :

No, I think you're well prepared. Good luck and Im happy to continue addressing this in the future without further charges. I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.

Please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however—we can continue to discuss any of your concerns regarding this topic without further charges until you are satisfied.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for trusting me to help you with your concerns!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.

Customer:

thank you. have a great day.

Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology