Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

My husbands eye problem started in Dec 2010. First itching

My husbands eye problem started in Dec 2010. First itching and numbness on the temple of his left eye. Them double vision. He saw and eye doctor who referred him to a retinal specialist. Who did MRI and test. He found two lesions in the back of the eye. He was then referred to an eye specialist who diagnosed him with thyroid eye dz. The eye continued to get worse. Drooping of eye lid. We saw and endocrinologist who did all kinds of blood test for the thyroid. He said it was not thyroid eye dz. He referred us to a neurologist who diagnosed him with third nerve cranial palsy. We had an angiogram to rule out an aneurysm he did not have an aneurysm. The doctor said he had a stroke in the eye that caused a third nerve cranial palsy and that there is nothing that can be done but time will heal the eye. Now he is having trouble seeing out of the affected eye. We are waiting like the doctors advised but now he is starting to have itching and numbness on the right temple of the good eye. We are very afraid that he losing his eye sight and we have
the wrong diagnosis. Help!!! What can we do?I need to add that he had been checked for myathenus gravitus(spelling?) and MS and several different viruses.
Every test he has had has come back normal. He has had a chest x ray to rule out lung cancer, came back normal.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

It really sounds like your husband is being treated by excellent doctors.......they only problem is that they all seem to be working in their own little vacuum rather then as a team. The multiple diagnoses your husband has been given are, in some ways, confusing. It is possible to have graves disease with completely normal thyroid function.....a stroke in the eye should not cause a third nerve palsy but a virus, aneurysm, etc can...

Dr. Rick :

and it is strange that this all seemed to start with itching and numbness in his temple area.

Dr. Rick :

If I was in your shoes I would go to a major University Teaching Hospital for treatment. I'd start with the ophthalmology department and go from there. It would be very helpful if your could HAND CARRY your records and digital disks with your husbands actual studies, such as MRI, Angoigram etc to the office. Why hand carry? Because there is a 98% chance that if you have them sent to the University Ophthalmology program by your team of specialists and sub specialists the records will fall into a black hole somewhere and not be available on the day of your visit.

Dr. Rick :

If you can tell me where you live and how far you can travel I'd be happy to give you some names of programs near you.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. We can use the Q&A system to 'text message' each other. An email will be sent to each of us every time something is posted to this thread.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.