Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Dr.

Dr. Rick were is my answer I just send you some questions
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Let me check your history.....be right back.

Dr. Rick :

Looks like answers to two questions posted around Sept 1. If you are unable to access them I can cut/paste them here.

Dr. Rick :

Is there something new you would like to also discuss?

Dr. Rick :

I guess you have stepped away from your computer. Here is the text of our last two intereactions:

Dr. Rick :
Dr. Rick :

Dr. Rick :

Hi. First off, let me put your mind at rest. It is very unusual for the herpes that affects peoples eyes to be the same type of herpes that one would get in their genital area.

Dr. Rick :

If you had ocular herpes there would be signs on the slit lamp exam. Your current ophthalmologist must not see any of these signs so that is why you are being told that you don't have this condition.

Dr. Rick :

Now, you mentioned ocular rosacea. This can cause a lot of the problems you are having. It is treated with an antibiotic pill as well as topical ointments/creams and drops.

Dr. Rick :

here is an excellent web page on this topic:

Dr. Rick :

http://www.internationalrosaceafoundation.org/ocular.php4

Dr. Rick :

Since you have noticed that you have a lot of mucus in the morning it is also possible that you are suffering from Dry eyes, mild allergies and (as you have already noted) blepharitis. I like to do these simple, at home, treatments for this:

Dr. Rick :

When it comes to allergies it is almost impossible to pin down the offending agent(s) and, therefore, treatment needs to focus on controlling the symptoms. Dry eyes are very common and can be improved by a stepwise series of therapies. First, the use of natural tears 4-6+ times/day to augment your natural tear production, if this doesn’t work then you can try temporary punctal occlusion of the lower puncta, then, if needed, temporary occlusion of all 4 puncta then, if indicated, surgical ( non-reversible) closure of the puncta. The openings to your tear drainage system are called puncta and you have one opening on each lid, near your nose.

Blepharitis is a condition where glands in the eyelids are not functioning normally. They become plugged and instead of putting out their normal clear, oily secretions, they put out thick, toothpaste like gunk. You may not be able to see this “gunk” yourself, unless it is really bad, but it shows up clearly on slit lamp examination.

The best treatment for this condition daily lid scrubs combined with warm compresses. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on your eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.

Baby shampoo lid scrubs will also help to wash away allergens and stimulate tear production, thereby addressing all three of your issues. Remember, this is not an instant fix. While you are waiting for the lid scrubs to have affect you can use over the counter allergy pills such as Travist, dimetapp or Zyrtec.

Should your symptoms get worse, your vision become significantly affected or things just not get better in 3 weeks or so you should have a complete eye examination by your local ophthalmologist to look for other, less common, causes of your symptoms.

Dr. Rick :

My system shows that you are in the chat room but I am unable to see anything that you may be typing. Does this make sense to you so far?

Dr. Rick :

I do not think that you need to worry about passing any of what you have onto your sisters who are currently suffering from cancer. At this point I feel you would be OK to spend time with them.

Dr. Rick :

I guess you have stepped away from your computer.

Dr. Rick :

We can use the Q&A system to 'text message' each other since you do not seem to be in the chat room as my screen is indicating. An email will be sent to each of us every time something is posted to this thread.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

Dr. Rick :

and the other question:

Dr. Rick :
Dr. Rick :

Dr. Rick :

Many things can cause a red spot and a blister on your nose, not just herpes. The cannula that was used during your procedure would have been a sterile, single use item so there is no risk of cross infection there.

Dr. Rick :

If you want to use the gloves that is fine, but as you may already know, just because you have genital herpes doesn't mean that you are able to infect everyone you come close to, that you cook for or that you have normal social interactions.

Dr. Rick :

Also, as we discussed on the last thread the herpes virus that usually infects the eye is a completely different strain then the one that people tend to get in their genital area.

Dr. Rick :

Rosacea can cause red spots on your nose and, sometimes, small blisters. If you haven't already showed this to your dermatologist I'd point it out to her on your next visit.

Dr. Rick :

Like we discussed about your sisters who are suffering from cancer, you do not have to worry that this ocular condition will spread to your husband.

Dr. Rick :

Do you have any questions about this?

JACUSTOMER-jrmfjpus- :

yes, what can we use so when we have sexual relations we can be more confortable. I have read so much on the internet about this spreading during intercorse to the partner on his nose and eyes. We are both lost and we have been maried for 37 years. Should I be afraid that we should not have intercorse?

Dr. Rick :

As an eye doctor, I must confess, I'm not asked this question very often :o) however condom use should prevent cross infection. You can also take meds to suppress virus shedding.......this is a great issue to bring up during your next OB/GYN appointment.

Dr. Rick :

Here is a good web page that talks about this issue:

Dr. Rick :

http://www.webmd.com/genital-herpes/guide/genital-herpes-sex-life

Dr. Rick :

Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help you.

Dr. Rick :

Dr. Rick :

Is there anything else I can do for you today?

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. We can use the Q&A system to 'text message' each other. An email will be sent to each of us every time something is posted to this thread.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
I hope this is what you needed....let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.