Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

What do the experts say about Calcium Mac Forte in comparison

What do the experts say about Calcium Mac Forte in comparison with other AREDS vitamins?

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

As you may already know the AREDS formula has only been shown to be helpful in dry ARMD even though many people are using it in the treatment of other eye diseases.

Dr. Rick :

Calcium Mac Forte was developed so that one compound could provide all the ingredients of the AREDS study along with the vitamins and minerals recommended by manufacturer's of daily supplements. While I believe this sounds like a good idea there have been no published studies concerning any possible interactions of these other compounds on the effectiveness of the AREDS formula.

Dr. Rick :

I feel that if you are someone who would be taking a tablet with the AREDS formula and at the same time taking a vitamin with the "usual" daily supplements then it would be more convenient to just take the one Calcium Mac Forte pill.

Dr. Rick :

Could this somehow reduce the effectiveness of the AREDS formula recommended by ophthalmologists all over the world for dry ARMD? I don't know if the answer to this question will ever be completely studied.........In my opinion? I think it would be OK, but I have no data to back up this feeling.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. We can use the Q&A system to 'text message' each other. An email will be sent to each of us every time something is posted to this thread.

Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The only real reason to switch to Calcium Mac Forte would be to enhance the benefit of the eye vitamins. Their pitch is that their product has more of the good stuff. It is more costly so I hesitate to get started with a product that won't really be more beneficial. If it is a super AREDS product and that might be more helpful, then it might be worth the increased cost.
There are no studies to back up their claim that this is a Super AREDS product. I, personally, would not spend the extra money nor would I consul my retina patients to purchase it based on these, unsubstantiated, claims.

thank you for the spelling tip :)