Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I have a corn allergy and it was determined that the corn derived

Customer Question

I have a corn allergy and it was determined that the corn derived chemicals in my eyedrops were causing double-vision. We discontinued use and the problem cleared, though my vision was affected. Since then, I wake up every day with my eyes extremely dry and oozing mucous. I have ductal plugs and am wondering if they may be part of the problem - no idea what the chemical make-up of these would be
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Punctal plugs are usually made of silicone or similar soft substance. I would not think that this would incite your allergy to corn chemicals.

Dr. Rick :

You may have other allergies going on as well as blepharitis along with your dry eyes. This is very common.

Customer:

I am concerned about the oozing and dryness - how can that be addressed

Dr. Rick :

Here is information on some home treatment that I find is very effective:

Dr. Rick :

When it comes to allergies it is almost impossible to pin down the offending agent(s) and, therefore, treatment needs to focus on controlling the symptoms. Dry eyes are very common and can be improved by a stepwise series of therapies. First, the use of natural tears 4-6+ times/day to augment your natural tear production, if this doesn’t work then you can try temporary punctal occlusion of the lower puncta, then, if needed, temporary occlusion of all 4 puncta then, if indicated, surgical ( non-reversible) closure of the puncta. The openings to your tear drainage system are called puncta and you have one opening on each lid, near your nose.

Blepharitis is a condition where glands in the eyelids are not functioning normally. They become plugged and instead of putting out their normal clear, oily secretions, they put out thick, toothpaste like gunk. You may not be able to see this “gunk” yourself, unless it is really bad, but it shows up clearly on slit lamp examination.

The best treatment for this condition daily lid scrubs combined with warm compresses. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on your eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.

Baby shampoo lid scrubs will also help to wash away allergens and stimulate tear production, thereby addressing all three of your issues. Remember, this is not an instant fix. While you are waiting for the lid scrubs to have affect you can use over the counter allergy pills such as Travist, dimetapp or Zyrtec.

Should your symptoms get worse, your vision become significantly affected or things just not get better in 3 weeks or so you should have a complete eye examination by your local ophthalmologist to look for other, less common, causes of your symptoms.

Dr. Rick :

Has you doctor tried adding restasis to your dry eye treatment?

Customer:

Yes - it didn't help

Customer:

I have 3 plugs now - the eye with only one plug seems to tear more, but it is very thick and that one is the one with the most mucous

Dr. Rick :

ok. For have mucus mucamyst drops can be used to easily and safely dissolve the mucus.

Customer:

I take daily allergy tablets

Dr. Rick :

ok

Dr. Rick :

This is the same medicine used to clear mucus from the lungs of people with respiratory problems. It is used as an eye drop right out of the sterile container for inhalation. It works great.

Dr. Rick :

You would have to check to see if it has any corn chemicals in it....I'm not sure about that.

Customer:

Is it available over the counter? Also, I would need to have the chemicals reviewed

Dr. Rick :

No. It requires an Rx.

Customer:

The compound pharmacy I use has not been able to make any of the eyedrops on the market for me

Dr. Rick :

Ya.....patent issues.....

Dr. Rick :

You could try Mexico or Canada pharmacies.

Customer:

This would be something I should review with an opthamologist - not patent issues, chemicals

Dr. Rick :

The pharmacist would know about the chemical content better then the eye doc I would think....

Customer:

yes - I have been seeing an optometrist - maybe I would be better to review with an opthamologist?

Dr. Rick :

That is 110% true! Optometrists really should not be trying to manage a complex case such as yours.

Dr. Rick :

An Optometrist is to an Ophthalmologist as an Eagle Scout is to a Sgt. Major of the Marine Corps. They both are experts in their area however one of them has a lot more training, ability and experience. Which one would you choose to save your vision…… or your family?

Customer:

Any recommendations on how I would select someone in my area?

Dr. Rick :

Where do you live?

Customer:

Baton Rouge, LA

Dr. Rick :

There are hundreds of qualified ophthalmologists in your area. If you wanted you could consult a cornea specialist.....this person would have the most extensive training to deal with your issues.

Dr. Rick :

The best way to find a "good one" is to ask your primary care MD, friends and relatives. I am sure that a number of cornea specialists could be found at the University....

Dr. Rick :

but I bet there are a few in private practice also....

Customer:

That

Customer:

helps - I'll check with my primary care and also my rheumatoligist - he has been treating the celiac for a couple of years now

Dr. Rick :

Sounds like a plan.

Dr. Rick :

And try the lid scrubs I talked about above. I bet it will help.

Customer:

Thanks - you confirmed what I thought - I need someone with more expertise on this - and I'll try the lid scrubs - it certainly can't hurt

Dr. Rick :

True. No corn product in baby shampoo :)

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Customer:

Good to know :-)

Dr. Rick :

It's been a pleasure chatting with you. I hope things get better soon.

Dr. Rick :

Take care.

Customer:

Thanks

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.