Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

i scratched my cornea with a twig and the eye dr abraded the

i scratched my cornea with a twig and the eye dr abraded the surface of all loose material, will smoking marijuana affect the healing process

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Smoking in general can have a slowing effect on the healing process. I am not aware, however, of any specific problems with healing that can be attributed to pot in and of itself.

Dr. Rick :

I would say that it would be best to avoid smoking while your eye is healing.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. We can use the Q&A system to 'text message' each other. An email will be sent to each of us every time something is posted to this thread.

Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
this happened 3 days ago and when i went to the dr today he said that the epithelial? layer had healed on loosely.they pulled of a bit that was hanging on and im to return in three days could this be due to the smoking
I've seen that is people who don't smoke so I wouldn't rush to blame everything on the smoking....but while it is healing now I'd quit until things have resolved just to give your eye every possible advantage to heal up quickly.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

will this heal or will i need another abridement

that only time will tell. If necessary your ophthalmologist can place a bandage contact lens etc. Many times just peeling the loose epithelium fixes this.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

he did put a protetive contac lense in both times

That is what is the botXXXXX XXXXXne? Don't smoke until things are healed.