Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I have horizontal double vision when i look to both the left

I have horizontal double vision when i look to both the left and the right. i had a lazy eye as a child and surgery on both eyes where the corrected the medial rectus muscle. it came on in january suddenly and hasn't changed. i first went to the dr's for numbness and are now possibly thinking it's MS. I don't go back until february but am wondering if maybe it's just my lazy eye as a child or if it could really be MS? Not sure if the surgery i had as a kid could breakdown in this manner?

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

That is a very good thought and, yes, it is possible for you to have that happen.

Dr. Rick :

The history of numbness and now double vision, however, constitutes two separate issues that, when taken together in a person your age tends to point toward a diagnosis of MS.

Dr. Rick :

Did you have an MRI done? And if so, did it show any white matter abnormalities? Have you had any other symptoms since the double vision and numbness started?

Customer:

had an mri when it all started. first one showed lesion in brain stem but subsequent one nothing. other symptoms are my eyes bothering me and my head rocks back and forth slightly but only when i'm sitting still. very bizarre

Dr. Rick :

That is the way MS can act. Weird things that, by themselves, don

Dr. Rick :

't make sense but when taken together add up. Also the white lesions come and go.

Dr. Rick :

If the only symptom you had was the double vision I would agree with you that it could just be a breakdown of of a phoria into a tropia (tendency for double vision into frank double vision) but given the other issues it doesn't seem that is the complete answer.

Customer:

ok thx

Dr. Rick :

I can understand that this is a very difficult time for you since at this moment the diagnosis is not 100% sure......and no one wants this diagnosis to be sure anyway :(

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

I hope things work out for you. Take care.

Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.