Dr. PG
Dr. PG, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Ophthalomology)
9208484

I have an itchy eye but just in the corner of my right eye.

I have an itchy eye but just in the corner of my right eye. It doesn't look red or swollen but feels a bit gritty. I have had surgery on this eye in 2009 for a macular hole and 2010 for cataract removal at Moorfields. I have also had laser treatment on my eye. Should I return to Moorfields or does this sound like something an optician can advise on please?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. PG replied 5 years ago.

Dr. PG :

since you have had multiple surgeries in the right eye, the most common cause or irritation is dryness of eye

Dr. PG :

this can be remedied by instilling lubricating eye drops like refresh tears/genteal/systane etc (available over the counter)

Dr. PG :

if the itching is of recent origin, then you might be having some allergy also

Dr. PG :

in that case, you can also use ati-allergy eye drops like zaditen/naphcon-A etc (again available over the counter)

Dr. PG :

but if despite this treatment, there is no relief, then you can consult your Ophthalmologist for a first hand evaluation

Customer:

I will seek out best course of treatment by speaking to someone in my local pharmacy and/or my optician. I was just concerned because of multiple surgeries whether I should go to A&E at Moorfields but it seems a bit drastic and if I can avoid sitting for 3+ hours waiting to be seen, then that would be preferable.

Dr. PG :

i agree

Dr. PG :

for a mild irritation or itching you need to not go immediately to A&E at Moorfields

Dr. PG :

you can try the lubricating and the anti-allergy eye drops and then decide depending on how you feel after a few days

Customer:

Thanks. Will do.