Dr. PG
Dr. PG, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Ophthalomology)
9208484

I have had an operation to remove cataracts and when the local

I have had an operation to remove cataracts and when the local was administered the doctor semed concerned about the eye being boodshot and then just prior to the op I heard the surgen ask for the lens and was told only 20 was here not a 23 and was then very annoyed what does 20 or 23 mean is this the size of the lens as my vision is now good but now I have a black patch on the left side of the left eye which was done not all the time mostly and worse in the morning no sign of this before the op. and trhe eye feels very "uncomfortable" .

Many Thanks Brian Kent
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. PG replied 2 years ago.

Dr. PG :

hi

Dr. PG :

welcome to just answer

Dr. PG :

the 20 and 23 that you are mentioning are the refractive powers of the lens placed in the eye after cataract surgery

Dr. PG :

this is similar to the power of glasses

Dr. PG :

every individual has their own power of glasses, similarly the power of lens to be instilled is calculated before surgery and it is then inserted after removing the cataract

Dr. PG :

if the surgery is recent, it would take some days for the vision to clear

Dr. PG :

but if it is more than a couple of months of surgery, then you need to be re-evaluated to know the exact cause of decreased vision in that eye

Dr. PG :

you might be needing glasses or a cmplete check-up of the retina to see any problem there

Dr. PG :

hope this information is helpful

Dr. PG, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MBBS, MD (Ophthalomology)
Expert:  Dr. PG replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.