Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

benign Meningioma diagnosed in 2004

Although I am aware that I need to see a Dr. right away I am curious to know which would be the most likely problem I am dealing with. I have a benign Meningioma diagnosed in 2004. There is involvement with the optic chiasm with splaying of the bilateral optic nerve. To date I have had no problem from it. 3 yrs. ago I had a case of shingles on my face with eye invovement. There was some affect to the cornea. Over time I have had itching, redness, and now dimming of vision. There has not been loss of peripheral vison loss so far. It is confusing to me where to start looking first. I would like to have your input if posssible. Thank you
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

I am glad to hear that you are getting excellent care and follow-up for your meningioma and that it doesn't seem to be impinging on your optic chiasm at this point.

Dr. Rick :

It sounds, from your post, that the majority of your current issues revolve around your VZV involvement of your cornea. Can you tell me more about this dimming of vision? Has there been a sudden decrease in your vision or a recent flair of your corneal shinges?

Dr. Rick :

Welcome to chat.

Customer:

It has been fairly gradual. I can see everything except letters and signs , things like that and it is darker. There is still a little numbness aroung the eye adn a tingle that soes into the back of the eye if you know what I mean. That is getting better gradually. No recurrence of shingles.

Dr. Rick :

So, you can see faces but it is difficult to see distant signs. What about reading? Also, have you tested one eye at a time and are both eyes affected equally?

Customer:

I can watch tv and read as long as I use both eyes. Only the eye that had the shingles is effected however I sometimes get the impression that my eye Dr. thinks it is the tumor. I am not so sure. Therein lies my delema. I don"t want to go through an MRI if I don't have to you know?

Dr. Rick :

I can understand that. If, however, a check for new glasses, a complete eye exam shows no evidence of corneal issues, cataract or retinal problems to explain your recent change in vision then -- given your history -- this leaves your Meningioma as a likely culprit.

Dr. Rick :

In this case, I'd have to agree with your docs and say it is time to take a ride in the MRI again....sorry about that :(

Customer:

I'm sorry I forgot to mention that due to the medicines I had to use I do have a catarac that is about 70 % I think.

Dr. Rick :

Well, that much cataract sure could be the cause of your visual difficulties. It may be worth taking to your doc to see if it is "ready" to be removed. Also, since your ophthalmologist knows your history she will be able to prepare for the small risk of your zoster flaring back up after surgery.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

And, if you had to choose a problem to be causing your difficulties a cataract is a lot better choice then pressure on your optic chiasm.....

Customer:

Yes. I just wasn't sure if I should just fo ahead and contact the neuro just to be safe but it is not operable so----. Any way I agree that having the cataract checked sure won't hurt and maybe I will luck out. The other option is sort of a grim one :( Thanks for your input. :)

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Have a great day.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help you.