Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

my eyes checked at a discover o eye centers here in the kansas city

THANK YOU...
at least three times a week i get what describe as being "flashed" by a glare off of a car or some other shiny object...when this happen i have again what i desribe as a strobing effect of the outline of whatever flashed me...its very uncomfortable and lasts for as long as 20 minutes or longer..i cannot see well at all during this time frame...in my job im required to wear safety glasses...and i wear bifocals with 200 strength...but because of the bright sun shining on the cars in the parking lot of our repair shop its hard not to get flashed...i have tried tinted safety glasses but they arent dark enough...plus if they are too dark i cannot see to run the computer im required to run...i recently had my eyes checked at a discover o eye centers here in the kansas city area..but they offered no help...she (optomitrist) said something about migrain something or other going on in my eyes and sorta blew it off and told me she couldnt help me and told me to see my general practitioner....???...help please...its a scary feeling and dont know what to do...thanks
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

It does sound like you are having the effects of an ocular migraine without a headache. This is very common.

Dr. Rick :

A typical migraine headache starts with shimmering lights, often times they surround a blurry area or have dots or jaggedly lines associated with them. They tend to progressively increase in intensity and sometimes march across the visual field causing difficulty with reading. Many times this is then accompanied by nausea, irritability, sensitivity to bright lights and/or loud noises. After the onset of the lights (called scintillating scotomas), the headache typically starts and the light show tends to progressively go away.

Many people can have this migraine phenomenon without the headache; it is called an acephalgic migraine. Some people even start having these late in life, or may have had a few much earlier in life that behaved differently and haven't had any for decades and then begin to have them; this is not uncommon. A family history of migraines is often present as well.

This is nothing to worry about. It is not a sign of a more serious underlying condition, brain tumor or anything like that. If the episodes become so frequent that they are bothersome there are medicines that can be used to decrease their frequency or stop an episode once it has started.

Dr. Rick :

I'm sorry that it seemed the optometrist didn't take you seriously as this can be a very scary thing to have happen, especially as often it has been happening to you.

Dr. Rick :

The good news? There are medicines that your primary care MD can give you to use just as you start to see the strobe effect that can nip it in the bud.

Customer:

so who would i see about meds to help?

Dr. Rick :

Also, if you continue to have them this often there are a variety of meds you can take on a daily basis to help.

Customer:

or is there something otc i can get?

Dr. Rick :

I'd suggest you first have a complete eye exam by an ophthalmolist (MD) and then, if needed, see your primary care MD for some of the meds I mentioned above.

Dr. Rick :

I have the same thing you do and, for me, caffeine, helps. I usually chug a pepsi

Customer:

yeah i was wondering if an md. eye doc was the best route

Customer:

i drink tea all day long

Dr. Rick :

Optometrists really aren't trained to deal with any type of significant eye diseases.

Dr. Rick :

Even if they think that they are :)

Customer:

so if my regualr doc asks...what meds would he need to rx?

Dr. Rick :

An extra blast of caffeine, on top of your tea, may help.

Customer:

i thought as much...i KNEW i should have seen an m.d...they have both at this eye center

Dr. Rick :

Here is a good link to meds for this:

Dr. Rick :

http://www.healthcentral.com/migraine/find-drug.html

Dr. Rick :

Ya, always better to see the MD eye doc....

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

lesson learned...well its good to know "its not a tumor" as arnold would say..buts its so uncomfortable...so im glad to know theres help...oh are there like any drops that might help??..just curious

Dr. Rick :

No. Drops won't really help.....and everyone always thinks it's a brain toouumor (thanks Arnold :)

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

Is there anything else I can help you with this afternoon?

Customer:

nope..i feel better...you have given me much more info that i got from the optomitrist...perhaps i was keeping her from getting her quota in for the day...i will gladly accept..thanks dr.rick...do i have anymore sessions from this $38 if i have further questions in a few days?

Dr. Rick :

You can feel free to post back to this thread, even after you hit accept, and I'll be happy to respond at no additional cost. Have a good weekend.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.