Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
25407765

Yesterday I woke up and my eye was a little red on the left

Yesterday I woke up and my eye was a little red on the left eye to the side.. not the whole thing and it kind of burned. today, its a little pink but not severe like pink eye, a little watery and burns a little, but its not intolerable...

i'm at college so i'm not sure if i should go to the dr, or go pick up some eye drops myself.

what's wrong with me?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 2 years ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Customer:

yeah for a little bit

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Since you do not have much of redness or pain or profuse watering from the eye, you can treat it symptomatically with lubricating eye drops.

Customer:

what do you think the cause of it is?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Such as over the counter preservative free Refresh tears eye drops, 1 drop 4 times a day for 2 weeks.

Customer:

it's a little pink, but not like pink eye

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Do you sit for long hours in front of the computer/study for long hours?

Customer:

yeah and i havent gotten much sleep lately so i assumed it was from eye strain?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

The burning sensation and mild redness are often seen in case of dry eyes.

Customer:

okay thank you !

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Dry eyes can occur from involvement of any of the 3 layers of the tear film. The tear film has 3 layers- aqueous, lipid and mucin. The most frquent layer to be affected is the aqueous layer. It is seen due to more evapouration of tears as can be seen with excessive hours in front of the laptop/computer/television or long hours of continous reading or writing. It can also be precipitated by excessive exposure to air conditioning or even very hot and humid climate. The treatment is in the form of tear supplements such as over the counter preservative free Refresh tears eye drops , 1 drop 4 times a day for about a month.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You are most welcome.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Thank you and best wishes.

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and/or positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince