Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

is the nerve that contols the eye lid also control eye movement

Customer Question

is the nerve that contols the eye lid also control eye movement my 15 year old son was hurt playing football he fractured all around his eye now his eyelid is closed and he has no movement in his eye his pupil is fully dilated he can see out of the eye when you open his eyelid
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Yes, you are correct. The third cranial nerve controls the movement of the majority of the muscles that move the eyeball. This nerve also runs the muscles that raises the upper eyelid as well as controls the pupil movement. It sounds like your son damaged the third cranial nerve as it enters the orbit behind the eyeball. I am glad that his vision is otherwise unaffected.

Dr. Rick :

There is, unfortunately, nothing that can be done at this point other then wait and see if function returns to the nerve.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. We can use the Q&A system to 'text message' each other. An email will be sent to each of us every time something is posted to this thread.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
I see that you have reviewed my answer. Is there anything else you would like me to add concerning your son's injury?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

what percentage would you guess that the nerve would work again

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
That is very difficult to say. Sometimes it can return 100%, although this can take up to 6 months. How much, if any, return of function can be expected depends upon the mechanism of injury and the amount of actual nerve tissue that was lost. One thing in your son's favor is his young age and the excellent care he received.