Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

Hello, I have redness, pain and itching in my left eye. It

Hello, I have redness, pain and itching in my left eye. It started yesterday afternoon as just redness, and I started polytrim eyedrop, 2 drops 4 times a day within one hour. It rapidly progressed grittiness and pain by evening. This morning, eye was slightly crusted and still gritty-feeling, with some swelling below the eye. Itching and more pain--more like stabbing pain, some dull pain in the swelling below the eye has been going on all day. Eye feels dry and sensitive to light. No tearing and very little mucous, no pus. Redness is unchanged tonight. Do you think I am on the right course of treatment?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you have viral conjunctivitis (pink eye). You may also have some dryness of the cornea.

Customer:

Can I expect to start to feel better soon? It's very uncomfortable.

Dr. Rick :

From what you are describing I do not feel this is a bacterial infection so you can stop the polytrim

Customer:

OK, what else can I do?

Dr. Rick :

Unfortunately it can last up to 10 days, spread to your other eyes as well as all your friends and family :(

Customer:

I am trying to keep my hands clean!

Customer:

And not touch my face.

Customer:

Should I do compresses or something?

Dr. Rick :

The best thing to do is cold compress, keep the eyelids etc clean with a soft wash towel and baby shampoo on it and use natural tears frequently for comfort.

Customer:

Baby Shampoo?

Dr. Rick :

It is that time of year for viral conjunctivitis. My grand daughter came home from 1st grade with it already

Customer:

OK

Customer:

What is the incubation period? My kids just went back to school yesterday!

Dr. Rick :

The good news is that it will not cause any lasting damage to your eyes.

Dr. Rick :

4 to 5 days.....

Customer:

I probably got it at work. I work in an outpatient imaging center/ER

Dr. Rick :

That is most likely where you got it....

Customer:

OK, thank you. You have confirmed what the ER doc told me this morning. But he said to start the drops just be sure.

Dr. Rick :

The virus stays alive on door knobs for hours so it is hard to avoid this time of year.

Dr. Rick :

Ya, ER docs like eye drops. I don't do heart attacks, they shouldn't do eyes lol!

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

I hope you feel better soon.

Customer:

Well it was free, and saved me a trip to my doctor and money out of my HRA account...

Dr. Rick :

And, by the way, it is OK for you to work as long as you wash your hands a lot and try not to touch your face.

Dr. Rick :

And that is a very good thing indeed....save the HRA for the big stuff.

Dr. Rick :

And, as you said, the ER doc was right. And now you have some polytrim around the house in case you need it in the future.

Customer:

The one I started yesterday had expired, so it was worth it get a bottle in the house for another 2 years...LOL

Dr. Rick :

:)

Customer:

Thank you again. This is a cool site.

Dr. Rick :

Have a great evening. It was my pleasure to help.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Let me know if I can do anything else to help you.