Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

Tomorrow I have a second appointment to decide if I should

Customer Question

Tomorrow I have a second appointment to decide if I should undergo steroid treatment to correct my scarred cornea.

What does this treatment include? What are the chances my vision will be improved?

What are the risks? Benefits?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

For an existing, inactive corneal scar I am not sure what you mean by "steroid treatment"

Dr. Rick :

Could you tell me a little bit more about the history of your corneal scar, how it has affected your vision, what caused it and how deep it is?

Dr. Rick :

Also, what treatments have been recommended?

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. We can use the Q&A system to 'text message' each other. An email will be sent to each of us every time something is posted to this thread.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
I am still here and looking forward to your reply so we can continue to work on your issue.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry. I thought you saw my first question.

I am recovering from Ocular Herpes Type 2. My cornea has been scarred as a result of the viral infection.

Can the scar be treated with steroids, e.g., prednazone(?). Will I be required to take Valtrex while using prednazone?

What are the side effects of Valtrex? Organ impact?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Let me address your questions one at a time:

I've not heard of using steroids to treat a corneal scar that formed secondary to a herpes infection. The best person to advise you on this would be a cornea specialist.

Yes. I would suggest being on antiviral meds whenever you are placed on steroids.

There are other ways to treat a corneal scar such as superficial keratectomy, Phototherapeutic keratectomy and corneal transplant. All of these surgical procedures do, however, run the risk of reactivating your herpes infection.

Does this make sense to you?

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)
I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic. I am still here to assist you.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Valtrex is generally very well tolerated with almost no side effects. It can, however, affect the kidneys if you already have kidney problems but this is rare.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
When you said "treat a corneal scar" my mind got to thinking only of an inactive scar. If you have disciform keratitis from herpes then this would be treated with steroids along with antiviral coverage.