Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

How do I know if an Ophthalmologist is qualified

How do I know if an Ophthalmologist is qualified?

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

The best way to find out if a doctor is qualified is to first contact, either by phone or on the internet, the State Medical Board where the doctor is in practice. This will tell you if he has an active license and if there have been any adverse Board actions against him.

To see if he is trained to practice in the specialty he says he is you can contact the specialty board (if he is board certified) where you should be able to find a history of his training and certification.

Finding out about any possible malpractice cases requires contacting the Court where the malpractice may have been filed, perhaps in the county the doctor is currently working in. There are also web sites that will search for any criminal records and, I believe, civil judgments (such as a malpractice suit) for a small fee.

One word of caution, however, when it comes to malpractice cases. In today’s America some individuals, and many lawyers, like to sue everyone they can. I call it "lottery by lawsuit". So, the fact that a doctor has been sued may have little or nothing to do with his medical competence.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.