Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

There are dirty dark lines around and over my central vision.Thes

Customer Question

There are dirty dark lines around and over my central vision.Thes are not yet affecting the vision yet.They move with the movements of my eye.There are more lines visible in last 36 hrs or so.I am a controlled diabetic.Smoke 2-3 cigarettes a day.Age 66 yrs
Submitted: 2 years ago via HealthBoards.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. Welcome to chat.

Dr. Rick :

The most likely cause of your symptoms is a posterior vitreous detachement.

Dr. Rick :

You are likely experiencing a PVD or posterior vitreous detachment, a common event that happens in many people.

You have a thick gel material in the middle of your eyes called the vitreous. Over time as it liquefies, this gel material collapses on itself, forms little clumps that you can see as dots, lines or bugs. As these clumps form the vitreous pulls away from the wall of the eye. In the process it can stimulate the retina -- causing the flashes that you may see.

It is recommended that you see your ophthalmologist to look at the retina to make sure there are no problems such as a retinal hole or tear. In most cases, there are no problems, but this exam is precautionary and allows for preventative treatment of any lesions that are found.

If you notice a sudden increase in floaters, flashes of light (like a lightning storm), or a shadow/veil in the periphery of your vision, this can be worrisome for a retinal detachment. You would need to contact your ophthalmologist promptly in that case.

Dr. Rick :

However, since you have diabetes, we have to be concerned that you may be bleeding inside your eyeball (vitreous hemorrhage). If your vision is affected or if the floaters are getting worse/more it would be a good idea to have your eyes examined by an ophthalmologist just to make sure.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

I guess you have stepped away from your computer.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am away from my country.How many days I have?.What is the likely treatment and prognosis?

Bijay

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Does it seem to be getting worse with more and more floaters that are now starting to block your vision, or does it seem about the same now as when you first noticed it? Also, have you had any flashes of light as discussed above?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The lines have increased by few more since this morning,very faint though.

NO flashes of light yet Dr Rick

Bijay

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Ok. That is good. It sounds like a vitreous detachment. In this case no treatment is necessary.

But, just to be safe, given your history of diabetes, and assuming that there has been some bleeding inside your eye (and I'm not saying that there has been.....) then this would require an examination by an ophthalmologist as soon as your can arrange it. Why is this exam important? Well, if you have bleeding inside your eye from diabetes you may have significant diabetic retinopathy and the sooner this can be treated (usually by laser) the better. The prognosis for treated diabetic retinopathy, especially when caught early, is excellent.

Does this make sense to you?

What else should you do? Don't panic :)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The lines have increased by few more,very faint though.No flashes of light yet

I am in Prague going to present a paper in SICOT,the largest body of orthopaedic surgeons in the world

What can I do immeditely to save the situation without going to an Ophthalamologist?

Bijay

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
There is really nothing that you can do to affect things yourself. It is good that the lines are very faint as this speaks toward the diagnosis of a PVD rather then a vitreous hemorrhage.

You might ask around and see if there is an ophthalmologist in Prague who would be willing to have a look at you.....I know that I would be happy to examine an visiting orthopedic colleague at their convenience if there was a conference going on in my hometown.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

God Bless You Dr Rick

Bijay

Patna

India

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. It has been my pleasure to help. Good luck at the meeting.