Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

I had rk surgery to correct nreasightedness when I was forty.

I had rk surgery to correct nreasightedness when I was forty. I had ten years of great vision, but at fifty, my eyesight is headed south again. Am I a candidate for LASIK or custom contacts, or are eye glasses my only option?

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

What type of problems are you having with your eyesight now? Near, intermediate, distance vision? Have you tried anything to make it better?

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. We can use the Q&A system to 'text message' each other. An email will be sent to each of us every time something is posted to this thread.

I am still here and looking forward to your reply to my above questions so we can continue to work on your problem.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry. Our Internet decided to take a labor day holiday. My vision is a mixed bag. I need glasses for reading, I a a writer and even though I am religious about takin freequeny breaks, I know that form of light hasn't helped. I have no night vision, and during the day wear glasses for farsightedness. But I can't make out movie sub- titles, need to be right on top of street signs unlee they are familiar, I am desperately seeking sharpness and clarity. Except for my Maggo vision, my overall eye health is good. No glaucoma, cataracts, dry eyes. Can you steer me toward improvment? Would lens replacement be overkill?
That happens :)

There are experienced Lasik surgeons who are able to improve things after RK, but this will not improve the near vision issues.
I think it would be worthwhile for you to have a complete eye exam by an ophthalmologist so that the cause(s) of your various eye issues can be identified. Once this is done you can consider all your options which might include clear lens extraction with a multifocal lens(the most aggressive approach) to lasik with glasses for near or lasik for monovision (middle of the road) or possibly glasses/contacts (safest).

If you wanted to talk to one of the most experienced lasik surgeons in the nation, one who has done a lot of lasik on post RK patients, give XXXXX XXXXXndstrom, MD a call:

Does this make sense to you?

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)
I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.