Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

In mid 2009, I had a cataract operation on the right eye. In

In mid 2009, I had a cataract operation on the right eye. In fact I had 2 operations as the first one was not a success, it had be done again. I have still -after 2 and a half year- problems. Often I have a "veiled" vision, and at reading, I have to stop soon as the vision become blurred. I am 76 and would like to know if there is still a treatment (laser?) for this eye. Thank you.

André Henkemans
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like from what you are saying that, after you read for a bit, your vision becomes "veiled" (do you mean blurry?) but that otherwise your vision is OK. If this is what you mean then it sounds like you problem may primarily be with your tear film/anterior segment.

Dr. Rick :

There are many things that can cause these type of problems however the most common, by far, is a combination of dry eyes, allergies and blepharitis.

Dr. Rick :

When it comes to allergies it is almost impossible to pin down the offending agent(s) and, therefore, treatment needs to focus on controlling the symptoms. Dry eyes are very common and can be improved by a stepwise series of therapies. First, the use of natural tears 4-6+ times/day to augment your natural tear production, if this doesn’t work then you can try temporary punctal occlusion of the lower puncta, then, if needed, temporary occlusion of all 4 puncta then, if indicated, surgical ( non-reversible) closure of the puncta. The openings to your tear drainage system are called puncta and you have one opening on each lid, near your nose.

Blepharitis is a condition where glands in the eyelids are not functioning normally. They become plugged and instead of putting out their normal clear, oily secretions, they put out thick, toothpaste like gunk. You may not be able to see this “gunk” yourself, unless it is really bad, but it shows up clearly on slit lamp examination.

The best treatment for this condition daily lid scrubs combined with warm compresses. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on your eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.

Baby shampoo lid scrubs will also help to wash away allergens and stimulate tear production, thereby addressing all three of your issues. Remember, this is not an instant fix. While you are waiting for the lid scrubs to have affect you can use over the counter allergy pills such as Travist, dimetapp or Zyrtec.

Should your symptoms get worse, your vision become significantly affected or things just not get better in 3 weeks or so you should have a complete eye examination by your local ophthalmologist to look for other, less common, causes of your symptoms.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. We can use the Q&A system to 'text message' each other. An email will be sent to each of us every time something is posted to this thread.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your answer, but I think it does not solve the problem!
I have nor dry eyes neither wet eyes. I think the eyes did not change, concerning the wetness, the last 50 years. I have no diabetes or other diseases. Only the blurred eyes.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Ok. Can you tell me more about the blurry eyes? I'm sure we can figure this out....
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Dear Dr. Rick.
What can I tell you about the blurry eyes?
Both eyes are blurry.

when I close the left eye, the vision is blurred. When I close the right eye (the operated), the vision is also blurred.

I'm wearing spectacles since my 12th year. Actually, my vision -long distance- is better with no specs at all!

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
It is possible that your glasses Rx needs to be changed. In the eye that had the cataract surgery a common cause of increased blurriness is a clouding of the posterior capsule.

The artificial lens is placed in the capsular bag after your lens (cataract) is removed. This capsule, in a large number of patients, can become cloudy with time and cause a decrease in vision. Some patients say it is almost like their cataract has come back, or they complain of glare, problems reading, driving at night etc.

The good news about a PCO is that it can be easily diagnosed and treated in your ophthalmologists office -- no need for any further surgery or, many times, even a new eyeglass prescription.

How is it treated? Your eye is dilated just like it is for a routine eye exam. A drop of numbing medicine is placed in your eye and, in most cases, a special hand-held contact lens is placed on your eye. You are positioned at a slit lamp that has a laser attached to it and, using the laser, (YAG) the capsule is cut allowing a clear path for light to get to your retina again. The entire procedure takes less then 5 minutes. There is no "post-op" recovery time needed and you can expect good vision to return as soon as the drops wear off.....sometimes even sooner.

Does this make sense?

It is also possible that your un-operated eye is getting a bit of a cataract in addition to needing a new glasses Rx. In any event, a visit to your ophthalmologist should "clear" things up for you.

I do not believe, from what you have told me, that you have anything going on that can't be fixed.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest