Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I have poor eyesight when it comes to reading (about 2.25)

I have poor eyesight when it comes to reading (about 2.25) and when seeing distant objects (about 1.5). I currently carry two cheap glasses (bought over the counter) with me and it is a pain. I know that Lasik Surgery will allow me to see distant objects. Is there a surgery that can correct both far and nearsightedness?

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Cataract surgery with the placement of a multifocal intraocular lens may be able to give you the type of vision you desire. If you don't have a cataract right now it is possible to have what is called "clear lens extraction" -- the removal of a normal, non-diseased lens (has not formed a cataract) -- and have the above mentioned lens placed inside your eye. This would, of course, not be covered by insurance and entails all the normal risks of intraocular surgery.

Dr. Rick :

Lasik, as a single procedure in a single eye, is not able to give you correction for both near, intermediate and far distance. On the other hand it is possible to have one eye "set" for near vision and the other eye "set" for distance vision -- a technique called monovision. Some patients are very happy with this type of correction and some are not.

Dr. Rick :

How can you tell which group you are? Well, I would suggest having a "trial" of monovision using contact lenses before having the laser carve this Rx forever into your cornea.

Dr. Rick :

I suggest you discuss these options with your ophthalmologist/lasik surgeon.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. We can use the Q&A system to 'text message' each other. An email will be sent to each of us every time something is posted to this thread.

Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.