Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

My friend, age 84 has a cateract in one of her eyes

My friend, age 84 has a cateract in one of her eyes. The Optho wants to operate and insert something that cost $2,000. She is still seeing fine. What should she do?

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

The doctor is most likely thinking of using a multifocal lens. This intraocular lens is not covered by medicare.

Dr. Rick :

Here is an excellent article on the different types of lenses:

Dr. Rick :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intraocular_lens

Dr. Rick :

The botXXXXX XXXXXne? If you friend would like to have the best chance of not wearing glasses after cataract surgery for either distance or near vision then a multifocal lens may be a good choice for her. If she doesn't mind wearing a mild Rx for near tasks, and sometimes for distance tasks, then the "regular", monofocal intraocular lenses are just fine. These monofocal lenses also have the benefit of many decades of proven successful implantation in millions of patients.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

I think both types of lenses are very safe and effective. Which one she chooses comes down to personal (and financial) preference.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.