Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I have a my eyes checked once per year and the HMO recommends

I have a my eyes checked once per year and the HMO recommends an optomoetrist. Should I see an Ophtalmologist?

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

I feel that you would be better served, especially at your age, to have a complete eye exam by an ophthalmologist instead of an optometrist. While optometrist do an excellent job of glasses, contacts and examining healthy eyes they really do not, in my opinion, have the training to detect the sometimes subtle signs of serious eye disease.

Dr. Rick :

If at all possible I would encourage you to contact your HMO plan and ask what you need to do to be examined by an ophthalmologist, even if you have to pay a little more out of pocket.

Dr. Rick :

Does this answer your question?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.