Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I have pink eye in my right eye....is there anything I can

I have pink eye in my right eye....is there anything I can do at home. I have no insurance..and its completely swolen oozing puss gross.. can you please help.
Debbie
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Have you been exposed to someone with pink eye recently? When you say oozing pus is it possible that it is stringy mucus and gunk?

Dr. Rick :

I guess you have stepped away from your computer.

Dr. Rick :

Pink eye is a virus and, as such, no antibiotic therapy is indicated. It usually runs its course in about 10 days or so and can easily spread to your other eye and to other people.

Dr. Rick :

The best thing to do is clean your eyelids/lashes with Johnson's & Johnson's baby shampoo and warm water.

Dr. Rick :

I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on your eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.

Dr. Rick :

Also use tear replacement drops (there are many brand names.....natural tears, bion tears etc....) frequently to soothe your eyes. Also if you wear contact lenses do not wear them until this clears up.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

It was a pleasure to assist you with your question. Please let me know if I can do anything else to help you in the future. Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. We can use the Q&A system to 'text message' each other. An email will be sent to each of us every time something is posted to this thread.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest