Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

Left eye was bloodshot in May, slowly got better in June,

Left eye was bloodshot in May, slowly got better in June, optician could find nothing wrong,
saw doctor early in July as blood vessels remained red,plus headache in left quarter over eye and head. Full blood test was ok, advised low fat diet. It was believed to be hayfever which I suffer with time to time Hypromellose prescribed but blood vessels in left eye is still red slight persists and sometimes I am inclined to drift when walking if I get up suddenly. What do you think?

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

First, the dizzy feeling when you get up too fast could be related to your blood pressure. This should be evaluated by your internal medicine doctor.

Dr. Rick :

Getting back to your eye, you may have a pinguecula.

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like what you have is called a pinguecula. This is a change in the skin around the eye (conjunctiva) from a lifetime's worth of exposure to sunlight. It is not a cancer. It also can become irritated and red at times.

Here is a link to a picture of a small pinguecula. You can find many other pictures by going to Google images:

This is link to a picture of a pterygium. As you can see one of the major differences between a pterygium and a pinguecula is that a pterygium grows across the clear part of your eye (cornea):

If you are bothered by your pinguecula it can be surgically removed fairly easily by your ophthalmologist using local anesthesia. One word of caution however.....they have the nasty habit of growing back, sometimes with a vengeance.

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. We can use the Q&A system to 'text message' each other. An email will be sent to each of us every time something is posted to this thread.

Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.