Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

My left eye feels bruised when I close it and squeeze it.

My left eye feels bruised when I close it and squeeze it, it hurts the most. It started last night and maybe is a little worse today.

Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 3 years ago.

Doctor DanB :Hello and thanks for your question.

JACUSTOMER-j0eydl4g- :

Hello

Doctor DanB : Has there been any redness of the eyes, itching, light sensitivity, foreign body sensation, or tearing?
JACUSTOMER-j0eydl4g- :

No, foreign body or tearing. No itching. Some redness now and a little swelling in my upper left eyelid.

It feels like my eye is bruised when I close it and squeeze it or rub it.

Doctor DanB : Is there any focal bump in the lid swelling?
JACUSTOMER-j0eydl4g- :

Not yet.

Could there be something in my eye, so small that I never did feel it?

Doctor DanB :

Yes, it's possible, but usually this gives you a foreign-body sensation. I suspect....

I suspect that this is either a viral conjunctivitis (early), aka pink eye, or it's possible that you have an early sty forming.

JACUSTOMER-j0eydl4g- :

What would I do to prevent that? I went swimming in the ocean last few days?

Btw, I'm a periodontist.

Doctor DanB :

Yes, thanks for letting me know of your professional training. It helps to know who I'm conversing with. Most of the time, swimming in the ocean won't cause any of the symptoms that you are experiencing, unless there has been some trauma to the eye.

If the focal swelling in the eyelid increases, then I would recommend to start using hot compresses, as hot as you can tolerate, 4 time a day, 10 minutes each time to massage the bump which can help the sty resolve (which is just a blocked oil gland).

JACUSTOMER-j0eydl4g- :

Ok.. Should I start that now?

Doctor DanB :

If you've had exposure to anyone with a red eye, cold, or upper GI (viral) infection, this could represent a viral conjunctivitis. If that's the case, it may spread to the other eye. In that event, there isn't much that can be done to treat it, outside of supportive measures such as using artificial tears 3-4 times a day and cool compresses.

As far as what to do now...

I would recommend using cool compresses and artificial tears 3-4 times a day for the time being. If this is a sty, it's going to declare itself by having the swelling turn more focal and nodular and then you can switch to hot compresses to help the obstruction resolve.

JACUSTOMER-j0eydl4g- :

Ok, thank you. I don't think this is anything I caught from somebody. My wife and I have been alone at the beach for over a week.

No antibiotics?

Artificial tears from CVS

Doctor DanB :

No, I think antibiotics are probably premature right now, and are unlikely to be needed as bacterial conjunctivitis is pretty common in adults. I think you're right in that case then about any infectious etiology being transferred from contact with someone. Yes, artificial tears from CVS would be fine. I would recommend getting some without the get-the-red-out or vasoconstrictive chemical in them.

JACUSTOMER-j0eydl4g- :

Ok, thank you so much. Anything else you can think of?

Doctor DanB :

No, I think those are the two primary suspects; you can certainly check back in with me without further charges to see what else is evolving if you like?

JACUSTOMER-j0eydl4g- :

Ok, thanks. This has really eased my mind.

Doctor DanB :

My pleasure. Do you have any other concerns about this topic that I haven't addressed?

JACUSTOMER-j0eydl4g- :

No, I just want it to get better and not worse. So now I know what to do. Thank you.

Doctor DanB :

You're welcome.

Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology