Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

My left eye feels bruised. when i close it and squeeze it,

My left eye feels bruised. when i close it and squeeze it, if feels the most. it started last night and maybe is a little worse today.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 3 years ago.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Customer:

yes

Customer:

hello, are you there?

Doctor DanB : Yes, sorry. Technical problems.
Doctor DanB : Has there been any redness of the eyes, itching, light sensitivity, foreign body sensation, or tearing?
Customer:

no, foreign body or tearing. no itching. some redness now and a little swelling in my upper left eyelid.

Customer:

it feels like my eye is bruised when i close my eye and squeeze it or rub it.

Doctor DanB : Is there any focal bump in the lid swelling?
Customer:

not yet.

Customer:

could there be something in my eye so small i never did feel it?

Doctor DanB :

Yes, it's possible, but usually this gives you a foreign-body sensation. I suspect....

Doctor DanB :

I suspect that this is either a viral conjunctivitis (early), aka pink eye, or it's possible that you have an early stye forming.

Customer:

what would i do to prevent that? did you read that i went swimming in the ocean last few days?

Customer:

btw, i'm a periodontist.

Doctor DanB :

Yes, I read that and thank you for letting me know of your professional training; it helps to know who I'm conversing with. Most of the time, swimming in the ocean won't cause any of the symptoms that you are experiencing, unless there has been some trauma to the eye. If there becomes...

Doctor DanB :

If there becomes more focal swelling in the eyelid swelling, then I would recommend to start using hot compresses, as hot as you can tolerate, 4x/day, 10 minutes each time to massage the bump which can help the stye resolve (which is just a blocked oil gland).

Customer:

ok, in the meantime...

Customer:

or should i start that now?

Doctor DanB :

If you've had exposure to anyone with a red eye, cold, or upper GI (viral) infection, this could represent a viral conjunctivitis. IF that's the case, it may spread to the other eye. In that event, there isn't much that can be done to treat it, outside of supportive measures such as using artificial tears 3-4x/day and cool compresses.

Doctor DanB :

As far as what to do now...

Doctor DanB :

I would recommend using cool compresses and artificial tears 3-4x/day for the time being. If this is a stye, it's going to declare itself by having the swelling turn more focal and nodular and then you can switch to hot compresses to help the obstruction resolve.

Customer:

ok, thank you. i don't think this is anything i caught from somebody. my wife and i have been alone at the beach for over a week.

Customer:

no antibiotics?

Customer:

artificial tears from CVS>

Doctor DanB :

Gotcha. No, I think antibiotics are probably premature right now, and are unliikely to be needed as bacterial conjunctivitis is pretty uncommon in adults. I think you're right in that case then about any infectious etiology being transferred from contact with someone. Yes, artificial tears from CVS would be fine; I would recommend getting some without the get-the-red-out or vasoconstrictive chemical in them.

Customer:

ok, thank you so much. anything else you can think of?

Doctor DanB :

No, I think those are the two primary suspects; you can certainly check back in with me without further charges to see what else is evolving if you like?

Customer:

ok, thanks, XXXXX XXXXX this has really eased my mind.

Doctor DanB :

My pleasure. Do you have any other concerns about this topic that I haven't addressed?

Customer:

no, i just want it to get better and not worse, so now i know what to do. thank you.

Doctor DanB :

You're welcome.

If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however—we can continue to discuss any of your concerns regarding this topic without further charges until you are satisfied.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for trusting me to help you with your concerns!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.

Customer:

and what not to do.

Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology