Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Does long sightness (+15 & +15.5 at aged 9) improve as a child

Does long sightness (+15 & +15.5 at aged 9) improve as a child grows? In order to
to be suitable for laser treatment at around 21, it needs to be no more than +4

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Wow. That is very, very hyperopic.

Dr. Rick :

It is very unlikely that your daughters refractive error will change enough as she grow older to allow her to have lasik surgery. Hard contact lenses, however are a good choice.

Dr. Rick :

As you may already know, it is important for your daughter to be examined by an ophthalmologist at least yearly. With such a farsighted eye she may be at risk for angle closure glaucoma as well as other ophthalmological complications.

Dr. Rick :

If you are not sure of the refraction (and refracting a child that young and that hyperopic takes extra effort) I'd take her to a pediatric ophthalmologist for a second opinion.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.