Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Two weeks ago I began having severe eye pain on top of both

Customer Question

Two weeks ago I began having severe eye pain on top of both eyes. It got to the point where I had to go the the emergency room to get pain med through an IV. It stopped the pain for that day but it has continued. I can control it with Advil and Ice packs but the pain is less but its still in my eyes and has spread to the sides of my head.

They performed a CT scan and said it was fine. I went to an eye doctor and the presssure in my eye is fine. But she did find some inflamation in my muscles around my eyes. Nevertheless, I am still having headaches and some blurry vision. My OD is sending me to a specialist because she doesn't know what it is.

I know its probably hard to diagnose this via internet but have you seen this in other patients before? Are these signs of a larger health issue? How worried should I be since I have never in my life had this happen before. Please help!
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

hi.

Customer:

hi

Customer:

any ideas?

Customer:

are you there?

Dr. Rick :

yes...sorry. Had to talk to the nurse who stuck her head in my office.....

Dr. Rick :

First of all, I am glad that you will be seeing an ophthalmologist soon.

Dr. Rick :

When you say that pain was on top of your eyes, where is that? Does it hurt when you move your eyeballs? Do you have an double vision etc?

Customer:

It hurts literally on the top of my eyes. And they do hurt when I look up and side ways.

Customer:

no double vision

Customer:

but I do have some trouble seeing clearly inside place with artificial light

Dr. Rick :

pain with eye movements combined with painful orbital areas makes me think of optic neuritis, scleritis, perhaps atypical cluster migraines, the list is long and varied.

Customer:

how can one be sure?

Dr. Rick :

I hate to admit it but you are right.....your issues will be almost impossible to diagnose using "computer chat" as the only diagnostic tool. When is your appointment with the ophthalmologist?

Customer:

and are any of these permanent and serious?

Customer:

tomorrow

Dr. Rick :

The majority things that could be causing this will not be made worse by waiting until tomorrow. And, yes, some of them are serious but the good news? It seems that things have gotten a little better since you had to go to the ER for IV pain meds.....anything that was really horrible would not have either stayed the same or got a little better....they would have been worse.

Dr. Rick :

So, on the positive side, at least you have that going for you.

Customer:

Thanks for the pep talk, I hope you are right.

Dr. Rick :

Wish I could have done more for you. If you have a chance drop me a note on this thread and let me know what the doc finds. I'd be very interested......

Dr. Rick :

Good luck to you. I hope you feel better soon.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I came back from the specialist yesterday and they found the problem. I have inflammation of my nerves that connect to my eyes (both at 180). This is not what is causing the pain. They performed a ultrasound of each eye and they found no tumor or anything else out of the ordinary. The only thing they found was like I said inflamed nerves AND inflamed muscles around my left eye, which the doctor states that's that is was is probably causing my pain and my blurred vision in my left eye since I can't efficiently use my muscles to focus.

I had an MRI done in Jan 2011 and it showed no tumors and they took blood samples and it did not show any tumor hormones markers. They have scheduled me for a Lumbar Puncture to check the preasure in my brain.

Now, with all this information, what is your opinion in my case?

Thanks.

My question is, ruling out now m
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the follow up. Bilateral nerve inflammation combined with muscle involvement would make me think of an autoimmune condition such as Graves disease, MS etc. I can understand how elevated intracranial pressure would affect both optic nerves, but that really wouldn't do anything to the muscles.

You, unfortunately, are what us doctors call an "interesting case" :) Good for us, since we will learn something by helping you, but bad for you because it's not that easy to figure out what is going on :(

Please let me know what your further workup finds. You know, you may end up having to go to a University Teaching hospital to get this all figured out....

Talk to you soon. Take care and try to stay positive....
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The thing that Graves and MS are pretty serious diseases. I have looked up the the symptoms for such diseases I don't don't fit the any

Graves produces a large amounts of TSH, I have already been tested for that and my TSH levels are normal. Plus eyeballs do not protrude from their sockets.

On MS, I don't have any of these symptoms:

he most common early symptoms of MS include:

Tingling
Numbness
Loss of balance
Weakness in one or more limbs
Blurred or double vision
Less common symptoms of MS may include:

Slurred speech
Sudden onset of paralysis
Lack of coordination
Cognitive difficulties

Thank you for the encourgement, but what I would like from you is if you could please put more thought into your answer before you respond with scary diseases such as MS, etc ..

I know you are trying to help and I am not upset but I am looking to you for a professional opinion outside of what I'm getting now.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
It is possible, and fairly common, to have the eye and orbital findings of Graves disease with completely normal thyroid function tests.

Sorry about coming up with a scary differential diagnosis list....that certainly was not my intent.

Have a good weekend and I'm sure things will turn out fine for you in the long run.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
This may be true but also if your pituitary gland is not functioning properly this could cause similar effects ...
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
You know, I must confess that I am not all that knowledgeable about the signs and symptoms of pituitary gland dysfunction......

An endocrinologist would be the best person to ask about this issue. And now that I think about it you may want to have an evaluation by an endocrinologist if other avenues of investigation don't come up with an answer.