Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Over the course of the day I developed a painful eyeball. It

Over the course of the day I developed a painful eyeball. It is more painful when I press on my eyelid all around the outer part of my right eye and when I close the eye it also hurts more. The sclera is now red, and even my cheekbone below the eye is slightly painful, kind of like when I used to have sinus infections year ago. My vision is not affected, and I do not have any gritty or scratchy feeling. I've had frequent instances of scleral redness the past ten years or so, and I do have MS, Fibromyalgia, and Lupus. I also had a vitreous detachment 5 years ago, but that was never painful. What do you think is wrong with my eye? What should I watch for? And how can I get this pain to go away?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

I am glad to hear that your vision is not affected. Is there any discharge?

Customer:

No.

Dr. Rick :

does the eyeball itself seem tender or the eyelid?

Customer:

When I pull the eyelid away, I do not feel any pain. It is definitely the eyeball itself. When I apply pressure, it is quite painful.

Dr. Rick :

There can be a number of issues causing this type of redness. It could be anything from relatively minor conjunctivitis, to episcleritis or even intraocular inflammation (uveitis)

Dr. Rick :

I think, given that we are on the cusp of a three day weekend, it would be best for you to see an ophthalmologist to sort things out. I fear that if we were to try some simple home remedies, and they should fail to help, you will have a difficult time getting a good exam until next Tuesday.

Dr. Rick :

I'd try to see if you could get in either today or tomorrow for a good exam.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

Today is impossible but I could call to see if tomorrow is good. I never heard of episcleritis. Is that what is sounds like, basically on the surface and not inside the eye?

Dr. Rick :

It could be on the surface and, if that is the case, the use of natural tears and cold compresses may help. But it very well could be that the actual wall of your eye is involved or that there is some sort of issue with the tissues inside your eye. Without actually seeing your in the office it is difficult to tell. I sure would hate for you to be in worse shape Friday afternoon or Saturday and be stuck until Tuesday, if that makes any sense.

Customer:

Okay, say I try that treatment and wake up tomorrow and I am feeling a bit better. Should I still pursue it? BTW The opthalmologist nearest is Dr. Whiting in Caribou, Maine. Do you have any info on him?

Customer:

And can I take ibuprofen or something tonight?

Dr. Rick :

No. I'm in Northern Wisconsin but, just as an aside, Caribou Maine sounds like a very pretty place.

Dr. Rick :

Yes, Ibuprofen would be fine.

Dr. Rick :

I'm sure that any ophthalmologist can take care of this issue for you......

Customer:

I live 20 miles north of Caribou on Madawaska Lake. Yes, it is beautiful here.

Dr. Rick :

I live very near Lake Superior in a small town in the middle of a almost a million acres of National Forest. I bet your area is very nice.

Customer:

N. Wisconsin sounds pretty nice to me, too--and quiet! that's important. Okay, thanks so much. I will call the doc first thing in the morning. Have a lovely, peaceful evening.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Have a good day.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.