Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

i have watery eyes and few months ago I had so much pressure

i have watery eyes and few months ago I had so much pressure in my left eye I thought I was going to lose my vision. I have been from one DR. to another including Ophthalmologists. One that operated on me for cataracs and drop me and now I have another one that keeps on making me comming back and buying drops and drops. I ask him to be tested for herpes of the eyes since I have genital herpes. He keeps on saying no you don't have this condition yet I'm not getting answers from no one including gynocologists. I need to know what is my problem. I have been even to a dermatologist that told me I had rosecia. I have skin problem on my neck, I have two red circles on both side of my eyes that hurts today. The cervical spine hurts when I take Acyclovir. I clean my eyes morning and night with sterile pads softly with baby soap and water. Mucus is in the corners of my eyes in am. Please help me i need to know this condition that every doctors are no answering. I have 2 sisters with cancer and can't afford to pass this on to them if contegious. They both live in Montreal. Help Yolande
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. First off, let me put your mind at rest. It is very unusual for the herpes that affects peoples eyes to be the same type of herpes that one would get in their genital area.

Dr. Rick :

If you had ocular herpes there would be signs on the slit lamp exam. Your current ophthalmologist must not see any of these signs so that is why you are being told that you don't have this condition.

Dr. Rick :

Now, you mentioned ocular rosacea. This can cause a lot of the problems you are having. It is treated with an antibiotic pill as well as topical ointments/creams and drops.

Dr. Rick :

here is an excellent web page on this topic:

Dr. Rick :

http://www.internationalrosaceafoundation.org/ocular.php4

Dr. Rick :

Since you have noticed that you have a lot of mucus in the morning it is also possible that you are suffering from Dry eyes, mild allergies and (as you have already noted) blepharitis. I like to do these simple, at home, treatments for this:

Dr. Rick :

When it comes to allergies it is almost impossible to pin down the offending agent(s) and, therefore, treatment needs to focus on controlling the symptoms. Dry eyes are very common and can be improved by a stepwise series of therapies. First, the use of natural tears 4-6+ times/day to augment your natural tear production, if this doesn’t work then you can try temporary punctal occlusion of the lower puncta, then, if needed, temporary occlusion of all 4 puncta then, if indicated, surgical ( non-reversible) closure of the puncta. The openings to your tear drainage system are called puncta and you have one opening on each lid, near your nose.

Blepharitis is a condition where glands in the eyelids are not functioning normally. They become plugged and instead of putting out their normal clear, oily secretions, they put out thick, toothpaste like gunk. You may not be able to see this “gunk” yourself, unless it is really bad, but it shows up clearly on slit lamp examination.

The best treatment for this condition daily lid scrubs combined with warm compresses. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on your eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.

Baby shampoo lid scrubs will also help to wash away allergens and stimulate tear production, thereby addressing all three of your issues. Remember, this is not an instant fix. While you are waiting for the lid scrubs to have affect you can use over the counter allergy pills such as Travist, dimetapp or Zyrtec.

Should your symptoms get worse, your vision become significantly affected or things just not get better in 3 weeks or so you should have a complete eye examination by your local ophthalmologist to look for other, less common, causes of your symptoms.

Dr. Rick :

My system shows that you are in the chat room but I am unable to see anything that you may be typing. Does this make sense to you so far?

Dr. Rick :

I do not think that you need to worry about passing any of what you have onto your sisters who are currently suffering from cancer. At this point I feel you would be OK to spend time with them.

Dr. Rick :

I guess you have stepped away from your computer.

Dr. Rick :

We can use the Q&A system to 'text message' each other since you do not seem to be in the chat room as my screen is indicating. An email will be sent to each of us every time something is posted to this thread.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.