Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

I have pulsating, sharp eye pain in the inner and upper part

I have pulsating, sharp eye pain in the inner and upper part of my right eye...it's so bad, it's making me sick to my stomach. It comes and goes. I've had it since Thursday eve. I am taking Tylonol Extra, 2 every 4 hours today...last night, I had 4 aspirin, and several glasses of wine...finally the wine took the edge off. This morning, the pain started again, and I tried the Tylonol, and it helped a lot...however, the pain is starting again, and I still have another two hours to go before I can take more Tylonol...I got an appointment with my eye doc for Tuesday...should I see my GP on Monday? Any thoughts? Any help would be very much appreciated....
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 3 years ago.

Doctor DanB :

Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?

Customer:

Yes!

Doctor DanB :

Do you remember getting anything in your eye or having any trauma to that eye? Eye rubbing, perhaps?

Customer:

No, nothing like that.

Doctor DanB :

Is the eye red, is there any discharge, mattering of your eyelashes, itching, tearing, or sensitivity to light?

Customer:

No, except perhaps some sensitivity to light.

Doctor DanB :

Do you wear contact lenses?

Customer:

No--I do wear glasses...my eyes are too dry for contacts.

Doctor DanB :

I suspect that you have either some mild, small abrasions in the eye or a dry eye syndrome. Either way, both of these can produce this pain you are describing. Going to your GP is better than no one, but to be honest, they will probably not have much to add to this and may muddle the picture by giving you antibiotic drops you may not need. To that end...

Customer:

Humm...so what do you suggest? Continuing with the Tylonol when having pain? Also, I had some dull pain in that right eye before, and my doc thought perhaps glaucoma, but the pressure has been ok...we'll see if there have been any changes on Tuesday.

Doctor DanB :

To that end, I would recommend starting to use some artificial tears (not the kind that says get-the-red-out or redness-reliever) 4-5x/day in that eye (in both if you want; it won't hurt the other one). You can also use some lubricating ophthalmic ointment at night or whenever you want (it would blur your vision though). Cool compresses would also help the eye feel better until you can see the eye doctor. If you were to take an oral medicine, I would actually favor ibuprofen over tylenol as it is more likely to help with eye inflammation. Glaucoma usually doesn't cause a pulsating, sharp pain so it's less likely, but not out of the question.

Doctor DanB :

Does that make sense?

Customer:

Yes, it does...sending husband to drug store even as we speak!

Customer:

Thanks so much.

Doctor DanB :

You're welcome. Do you have any other questions abou tthis?

Customer:

No--Thanks, Doc!

Doctor DanB :

My pleasure.

If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however—we can continue to discuss any of your concerns regarding this topic without further charges until you are satisfied.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for trusting me to help you with your concerns!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.

Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology