Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I was diagnosed with Iritis in October of 2010 after a nasty

I was diagnosed with Iritis in October of 2010 after a nasty case of the shingles on my face. I took Valtrex for three months on the advise of my opthamologist and am still having trouble with the eye. My doctor says the removal of a cataract in that eye is too dangerous at this time as the iritis may flare up at any time. He has one patient who's iritis has recurred for the last three years.
Is there any treatment that can speed up the disappearance of this awful syndrome, or am I stuck with just riding it out? One problem is it's giving me a hard time trying to renew my driver's license and this is a horrible situation. I know I can see well enough to drive and only drive locally. Any advice or suggestions would be more than greatfully appreciated. Thanks for you assistance in this matter.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Your surgeon has a point in his concerns about the iritis flaring up after the cataract surgery. However, I understand your point in that your decreased vision is seriously impacting your life right now....so much so that you are concerned about your drivers license.

Dr. Rick :

Depending on your other medial problems it is possible to pre-treat you with oral steroids and steroid eye drops prior to cataract surgery and, in addition to the usual post op drops, continue the steroids after the surgery for a short time. This should suppress any increased inflammation.

Customer:

This is all true and I do highly respect my doctor and he is highly regarded. At this point, I'm just looking for any other opinions. One of those opinions is that you need to enlarge the print in you answers!!!

Dr. Rick :

Shingles recurrence, as far as cataract surgery is concerned, is not as much of a problem as herpes. Back when I did cataract surgery ( I now do subspeciality work) I did cataract surgery on patients like yourself and was able to manage things just fine after small incision, no shot, no stitch, cataract surgery.

Dr. Rick :

Oops.... Is this better?

Dr. Rick :

Dr. Rick :

Customer:

DEFINITELY!!! Can I get a copy of this info??

Dr. Rick :

Yes, you can print it out....oops now the print is huge....

Dr. Rick :

Do you need me to copy the other replies and try to make them large also?

Dr. Rick :

You can right click, then hit select all, then copy, then open up a word processor program then hit paste and then print as usual.

Customer:

The print is PERFECT for me! No, I think I can get the smaller ones, but the larger ones are the best! Many thanks for making my life easier!

Dr. Rick :

my pleasure. Is there anything else you would like to ask me?

Dr. Rick :

7:18 PM

Dr. Rick :

There that is a bigger.....

Customer:

What do I right click on?? This old grandmother is not that tech savvy!!

Dr. Rick :

let me try it on my side and then tell you what worked for me....be right back.

Dr. Rick :

Ok. This worked for me. I am using google chrome as my browser by the way.

Dr. Rick :

Go to the top of the chat. Press and hold the left button on the mouse and highlight the entire page/chat. Then without moving the mouse push the right button and hit copy.

Dr. Rick :

Then open an word processing program to a blank document page ( I used microsoft work), hit the right button on the mouse and select paste. Then just print it as usual. You can also save it to your hard drive from here like you would any document.

Dr. Rick :

Does that make sense.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

You might want to talk to another cataract surgeon about doing your surgery in light of you past history of shingles. I really don't think it should, all other things being equal, be a problem.

Customer:

Sorry for the delay! You went back to the tiny print and it was hard for me to read!!

Dr. Rick :

It must default to that size.

Dr. Rick :

7:26 PM

Dr. Rick :

I'll have to ask the computer experts at just answer how I can set my replies to a larger font....I think it would be useful for a lot of folks

Customer:

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX I will definitely hit the accept button and do so appreciate your time and responses. I thank you for all your help and wish you well. I do think your might have to reset the font size every time, but who knows!!

Dr. Rick :

7:26 PM

Dr. Rick :

I

Dr. Rick :

O

Dr. Rick :

I'm not sure if that is coming across as larger font or not....sorry about that.

Dr. Rick :

Yup. It changes back to the small font every time I hit enter or try to copy/paste. Sorry about that...

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are typing and that could mean a couple of things: 1. you are actually typing or, 2, the chat system has frozen up. I'll give it a few more minutes and if I've not seen anything from you I'll switch over to the Q&A system. That system works a lot like 'text messaging' but, unlike the chat system, it almost never freezes up. We can continue to work on your question there. :o)

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest