Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I thought it was eye strain..my left eye..visual field of my right eye

I have noticed more difficulty using my store bought reading glasses. I thought it was eye strain from my computer usage. 3 days ago I closed my left eye and was startled to find a gray film in the visual field of my right eye. It appeared as it might in the morning, but would not clear. A week ago on Friday I took a significant fall, but did not hit my head. I take ASA 320 mg/day. I do not have diabetes or hypertension or symptomatic cerebral or peripheral vascular disease, but I am a retired Internist. I had a normal opthalmologic exam 2 years ago.

This morning is worse. It is what I would expect to see if I had a cataract.

Questions:

Is this an opthalmologic emergency?

Can I wait to see my opthalmologist until tomorrow?

What might be wrong?

Thank you for your time and expertise. Dr. Jayne
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Hi Doc,

Dr. Rick :

How old are you? Other then the decreased, grey vision in the affected eye, do you have any other ocular or systemic sx?

Customer:

Good mprnon

Customer:

I am 67

Customer:

No other symptoms

Dr. Rick :

ok. When you say that the vision is worse, can you be more specific?

Customer:

Using both eyes is straining my eyes. It feels better if I hold my right eye closed

Dr. Rick :

light sensitivity?

Customer:

No But I used Rayban glasses out side.

Dr. Rick :

When you close the left eye, looking out of the right eye only, tell me a little bit more of what you see and how it is worse then it was when it was first noticed.

Customer:

It appears as following

Customer:

There is a slight core of heavy blurring in the middle of my field of vision. I am unable to focus on an object or a word. It is less as it moves to the periphery. If I stare straight and utilize my peripheral vision it appears to be clear.

Customer:

Yesterday I could see through that core better than today

Dr. Rick :

I am a retina specialist and it very much sounds like you are having some type of macular event, edema (lots of causes), bleed (wet age related macular degeneration is high on the list) or one of the rare "zebra's". In any event I would feel better if you could get an ophthalmologist to have a look at it today since is has evolved so rapidly. An exam by an non-ophthalmologist would not be of much value (ER doc etc) but if they had an eye doc on call that could come in and see you, that would be good.

Dr. Rick :

wish I had better news for you :(

Dr. Rick :

Very good description by the way. That was helpful.

Dr. Rick :

Perhaps you know an ophthalmologist in your community who would be willing to meet you at his office. I would do that for a colleague in a heartbeat.

Customer:

That's what my insides

Dr. Rick :

I'm in Northern Wisconsin.....most likely quite a drive from you.....

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

Let me know what else I can do for you. I am at your disposal.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest