Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

My husband (now 67 years old, nearsighted and having had 2

My husband (now 67 years old, nearsighted and having had 2 cataract operations in 2005/2006) was diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease in May 2009 and since March Parkinson's dementia. Since last Thursday (after his second eye scan in 4 months) he has been diagnosed with Macular degeneration 20% in one eye, 40% in the other. We were given (what I now know is the general medication for the condition) Vitamins. This was Not our usual eye doctor as since the first scan in April, the doctor has had some kind of Heart attack or stroke (the hospital is not saying what) and is probably doing worse than we are. We were told by this Substitute eye doctor to "make an appointment FOR NEXT YEAR!!!!" That, and "friends" are now telling me "Had The Macular Degeneration Been Caught Sooner my husband wouldn't be so bad off now!!" Back in the 90's my husband was diagnosed (by our same eye doctor--whom we Love and think is the best thing since sliced bread) with what I remember him calling "Manager's Eye"(I think it was a broken blood vessel). My husband was given a "scan" where he was first injected with red dye. I can't remember the medication he was given but I was given the instructions to feed him lots of bananas, kiwis and tomatoes. I did. He got another scan sometime later and he was cured of his "Manager's Eye". My question(s) for you: Was this "Manager's Eye" the Beginning of Macular Degeneration back then and are we now doing the right thing for it? We live in Europe.
Thank you
Mamabird (<--- my screen name on Just Answer)
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

I must confess that I really have no idea what "manager's eye" is......

Customer:

Dear Dr. Rick,

Dr. Rick :

Hi.

Customer:

Neither do I. I'm from the US. We are in Holland and I Think the doctor was trying to speak English.(duh) What I do remember from this was it was Probably a broken blood vessel. I couldn't find Anything on Manager's Eye online either (now). I'm worried that the "broken blood vessel" was Wet macular degeneration back then. Now my husband has Dry macular degeneration. Can that be? I thought people went blind from the wet kind. My husband has Always complained about not being able to see well.

Dr. Rick :

For dry macular degeneration vitimens, as described in the AREDS study, are currently the only known treatment.

Dr. Rick :

Usually if your husband had a leaking blood vessel consistent with wet macular degeneration in the past there would be evidence of it in his retina, even years later. I don't think that was what the doc was trying to say....in any event, at this point, it really doesn't matter. The test your husband had in the past sounds like a fluorescein angiogram, where the blood vessels and the health of the eye are evaluated.

Dr. Rick :

As to a delay in diagnosis and treatment, when it comes to dry macular degeneration a delay is not all that important....this, of course, is not true with the wet form.

Dr. Rick :

Also, you almost never go "lights out blind" from any of the types of macular degeneration as it only affects the central vision. The side vision remains intact, even from a legal point of view the person is considered blind (less then 20/200 vision)

Dr. Rick :

One thing that it is important for you husband to do since he has a diagnosis of dry macular degeneration is to stop smoking if he already does. Smoking has been shown to make all forms of macular degeneration worse.

Customer:

My husband quit smoking on June 4, 1984 (Hooray!), doesn't drink and we've always eaten a healthy diet. So much for trying to keep my husband healthy.....

Customer:

Thank you for the information.

Dr. Rick :

Vitamins that have the formula of the AREDS study are ones like ICaps and Ocuvite.

Dr. Rick :

here is a link to one brand name of these vitamins.

Dr. Rick :

http://www.amazon.com/Bausch-PreserVision-Formula-Eye-Vitamins/dp/B000E3BW7S

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Oh, one more thing.....

Dr. Rick :

having his eyes examined every 6 to 12 months while things are stable is OK. He should also check his amlser grid with each eye daily.

Dr. Rick :

Of course the best trained person to follow your husbands macular degeneration is a retina specialist. For "routine" dry macular degeneration do you need this level of expert? No. I don't think so. But.......make sure you husband is being seen by an ophthalmologist and not an optician, optometrist etc.....

Customer:

He was prescribed Nutrof Omega. It is a supplement on the basis of DHA, Zn,Mn,Se,Cu, Vitamins C, E and B Complex, Glutathion, Lutieine, and Zeaxanthine (<---- some of these may be foreign names.) I was planning on getting a second opinion, for at least until our Ophthalmologist is back on his feet.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Here is the formula used in the AREDS formula:

The specific daily amounts of antioxidants and zinc used by the study researchers were 500 milligrams of vitamin C; 400 International Units of vitamin E; 15 milligrams of beta-carotene (often labeled as equivalent to 25,000 International Units of vitamin A); 80 milligrams of zinc as zinc oxide; and two milligrams of copper as cupric oxide. Copper was added to the AREDS formulations containing zinc to prevent copper deficiency anemia, a condition associated with high levels of zinc intake.