Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

Hi. I am just recovering from a bad eye infection. My eyesight

I am just recovering from a bad eye infection. My eyesight is quite bad (-9.5 in both eyes). I wear contact lenses as I see better with them due to my high perscription. However, I do not overwear them and give my eyes rests from them nearly every evening and during the weekends.

I am terrified to do this but several people have mentioned to me that I should consider laser eye surgery.

Do you have any opinion on this.

Thank you.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Lasik is an very safe and effective procedure. I think it is a good idea in a healthy eye, however, in your case the infection may cause problems.

Dr. Rick :

What kind of problems? Well, it all depends on what type of infection you had and what residual damage the infection left behind.

Dr. Rick :

I would encourage you to consult with a lasik specialist (these exams are usually free) and discuss your options in depth with her.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

My eye infection has been looked at and is being treated. Part of it is allergies so it`s not all that bad.

I wasn`t thinking of getting it done immediately, I was really just wondering how safe it is. I`m terrified that something bad could happen leaving me totally blind. Is this a possibility.

That is good news.

Lasik is very safe. Could something go terribly wrong and you end up stone-cold blind? Sure.

Could the moon crash against the Earth and kill us all tomorrow? Sure. Would I bet the farm on it? No way.

The only thing I would recommend is that you ask the lasik doctor if she wanted your mild infection and allergic reaction cleared up before the surgery. Remember. This is elective surgery so you want to make sure everything is stacked in your favor toward an excellent outcome....this might mean waiting until after allergy season.