Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

what can you do for poison ivy in the eyes

what can you do for poison ivy in the eyes?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

The most important thing to do is wash your eyes with baby shampoo and water very well. This will remove any poison ivy oils.

Dr. Rick :

If you have not had any reaction (rash) as of yet then there is really nothing else to do.

Dr. Rick :

If you already have the rash, I suggest cold compresses and artificial tears to sooth your eyes. You might also consider taking 50 mg of benadryl. Other then that there is not a lot to do other then let the reaction take it's course

Dr. Rick :

If you have pain in your eye, noticeable decrease in your vison or any concerns you may want to see an ophthalmologist to make sure nothing serious is going on. In the vast majority of cases there are no long term consequences of poison ivy around or (this is very rare) on the actual eyeball itself.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. We can use the Q&A system to 'text message' each other. An email will be sent to each of us every time something is posted to this thread.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.