Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

My left eye is blinking normally but my right eye is somewhat

My left eye is blinking normally but my right eye is somewhat droopy and not blinking. What would cause this to happen?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

When you open the droopy eyelid with your fingers, and looking in the mirror, when you gaze up, down, left and right does that eye (with the droopy eyelid) move normally like the other eye does?

Dr. Rick :

Is your vision affected in the eye with the droopy lid?

Dr. Rick :

Do you have any other symptoms?

Dr. Rick :

What medicine do you take? What medical problems are you being treated for?

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. We can use the Q&A system to 'text message' each other. An email will be sent to each of us every time something is posted to this thread.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
I am still available to work on your question and look forward to your reply.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My right eye does move when I try to glance from side to side. I have to force it to close when I try to close both eyes. I'm an asthmatic so I take Advair, singulair and have just finished a 5 day dose of prednisone. I took two antihistamines today to see if I could clear up discomfort in my eyes. It appears that the right side of my face is a little droopy. The lines of my face on the right/left side to not match up.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
It is possible that you have a third nerve palsy. Problems closing your eye means that the seventh cranial nerve may be weakened too. And, since you are also experiencing problem with droopiness of your face, that leads met to think that another cranial nerve is involved too... Three nerves involved all at one times required an emergent workup.

I am glad that you don't have any other physical or mental symptoms but, in all honestly, I think you should find someone to drive you to the ER for a complete evaluation as soon as you can.

Does this make sense to you?

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Oops! I misread your post......

Your eye does move normally.....that means that the third nerve is not involved....

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
It is possible you have bells palsy. This is a common event that usually resolves without treatment. However, since your eye is not closing well it is important for you to put an ointment, such as refresh PM or lacrilube in your eye at night. Also use tear drops during the day to keep your eye moist.

It is not really necessary to go to the ER for this condition if you don't want to however you should see your internist on Monday.

Sorry about my mix up :(
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Here is a great article on this topic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell%27s_palsy

Does this make sense to you?

Do you forgive me yet for scaring your because I've still having problems reading my native language correctly :(