Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

what causes a weird, almost oscillating sound during arterial

what causes a weird, almost oscillating sound during arterial doppler? I had a study done of my legs but when the technician checked the arteries near my elbows (for comparison?) he was baffled by the weird sound. Thought he was maybe picking up sounds from nearby vessels but it wasn't, and the strange sound was the same in both arms. He said he guesses that must be normal for me. It was a sharp PEW sound but followed by a softer widgi-widgi-widgi sound. so it went "PEW-widgi-widgi-widgi...PEW-widgi-widgi-widgi" The sounds in my legs were more like..."PHEW-whoosh....PHEW-whoosh"

LOL...ok this question is kind of bizarre....but still..

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Customer:

ok...give it your best shot :-)

Dr. Rick :

That is the sound of the blood flow. The louder sound is the arterial (high pressure) blood flow and the widgi widgi is the low pressure (vein) flow

Dr. Rick :

The Phew-whoosh is most likely turbulent flow and the PHEW PHEW is blood squeezing through a narrower area.

Dr. Rick :

Some doppler systems actually show the blood flow in color so you can actually "see" the blood flowing that makes the different sounds.

Customer:

He just seemed confused by the widgi widgi widgi..lol

Dr. Rick :

I guess that is why he is the doppler tech and not the doctor :)

Dr. Rick :

you do the sounds well, by the way ;)

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

haha...too true! so what's the difference between bi-phasic and tri-phasic waves?

Dr. Rick :

It is just a way of describing the wave forms.....different patterns, nothing to worry about.

Customer:

thanks for answering my weird questions! and the sound descriptions were the only way to describe :-)

Dr. Rick :

You described it perfect -- made sense to me :o)

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

Have a good evening..

Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.