Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Hello! Im the mother of a 7 weeks old baby and he is a normal

Hello!
I'm the mother of a 7 weeks old baby and he is a normal baby, was born at 41 weeks of pregnancy with induced labor and a followed caesarean because he didn't went down. I'm brestfeeding exclusively but I've noticed that my baby almost never looks at me and if he does he immediately looks to another place. He seems to find the most interesting things in places where we don't see anything. The pediatrician made the catarats despite and everything was ok. What can be the problem? Can in be normal? I'm so worried and I don't know what to do. He don't look to toys I play in front of him and sometimes I put my face just in front (very close) to his face and he looks in another direction. The rest is ok, he smiles a lot when we talk to him and touch him, but the vision seem to be very poor. Can you help me please?
Raquel
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

It is not unusual for babies your child's age to look all over the place. This is nothing to worry about.

Dr. Rick :

I am a little confused, however, about what the pediatrician found when he examined your baby. Did you mean to say that he found cataracts during an exam?

Dr. Rick :

If there are cataracts present this, of course, is not normal and needs to be investigated further. If the pediatrician, on the other hand, did not find anything wrong with your babies eyes that is a good thing. However, a pediatrician really doesn't have the equipment or training to do a complete eye exam.

Dr. Rick :

If you are concerned I would take your baby to a pediatric ophthalmologist for a complete eye exam. If nothing is found to be wrong then you can feel confident that everything is OK with your baby.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. We can use the Q&A system to 'text message' each other. An email will be sent to each of us every time something is posted to this thread.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi!

Are you still there?

No, there are NO catarats. He made the light test, you know?

He's apparently ok, but the pediatrician said to pay attencion and to go there when he's 4 months old, but for me it's such a long time...

He looks all over the place, but for me it doesn't seem to have anything interesting, like a white roof for instance. And my question is, what can be the problem? And wainting until 4 months old isn't too much time? What can I do?

I'm really sad because he really is interested in me and the father and to other people and he laughs a lot, but he doesn't look to us. It seems like he don't sees us. But on the other hand, he do looks a lot, like his eyes are not stoped, he looks in all directions and laughs to whatever he sees, so I think he sees, but then why don't he looks to my face? Every baby book say that reall small babies love to look to their mother's face and to peoples face...

Can you give more information on this? I live in Azores and here there are no ophtalmologist pediatrician ...

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Hi. Thanks for the extra information. Like I said above, a pediatrician does not have the equipment or training to do a complete eye exam.

While I feel confident, from what you have told me, that you have nothing to worry about when it comes to your baby's vision if you have any doubts at all I recommend that you take your child to a pediatric ophthalmologist for a complete eye exam.

Since your baby does seem to be laughing, looking at things and otherwise being normal I would not worry about what the books say about looking at faces etc. Every baby is different. From what you are telling me, I really think your baby is fine. A complete eye exam will just make sure that this is, indeed, the case.

Does this make sense to you?

Let me know if there is anything else you would like to ask me.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest