Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I have had a viral infection for 4

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I have had a viral infection for 4 months. the infection is gone but the vision is still distorted. I have had everything as far as drops, ointments, anti viral meds to no avail. I am scheduled to have my eyelid stitched down at UT medical in Memphis, Tn tomorrow. Suppose to help with the healing process. Your thoughts on this procedure.

Thank you
Kim

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

It is a herpes virus?

Customer:

yes

Dr. Rick :

Yes. This is a very effective procedure when dealing with a non-healing corneal issue. As you know the virus not only causes damage to your cornea, as does your bodies battle against the virus, but the infection causes loss of the sensory nerves in your cornea. All of this, the virus, your bodies war on the virus and the loss of sensory nerves in your cornea make healing very difficult.

Customer:

Thank you is this a painful procedure?

Dr. Rick :

doing either a temporary (using rubber bolsters over a proline suture) or a "permanent" (trim your eyelids and then sew them so that they grow together) lateral or full tarsorrhaphy can get your cornea to heal when nothing else is working.

Dr. Rick :

I've done it a number of times over the last two decades and it never hurt me :)

Dr. Rick :

all kidding aside, local anesthetic is used and people tell me that it was not painful, either during the procedure of following as things heal up.

Dr. Rick :

I guess that my botXXXXX XXXXXne is that you are doing the right thing if your ophthalmologist (?a corneal specialist) recommends this procedure.

Dr. Rick :

As they planning on doing the side of your eyelid (lateral tarsorrhaphy) or a full one/

Dr. Rick :

?

Customer:

Thank you so much that makes me feel better.I think my immune system is so low because of a trach resection about a year ago along with rheumatoid arthritis that I'm easy to catch virus. thanks again

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Best of luck to you. And remember: Try not to worry! This really should help things heal up.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Customer:

okay

Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.