Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Can eye remover and mascara, if accidentally rubbed into the

Can eye remover and mascara, if accidentally rubbed into the eyes, causer allergic conjunctivitis?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

yes. It is possible. Eye makeup remover is not really designed to get into the eye and can cause a chemical conjunctivitis....not really an allergic conjunctivitis.

Dr. Rick :

The best thing to do is just what you have done. Use tear replacement drops to soothe your eyes and cold compresses to help with the discomfort. Before going to bed it may be helpful to put an eye ointment, such as refresh PM or a similar product. This will lubricate your eye and make it feel better while you sleep.

Dr. Rick :

If you feel like you have something in your eye in the morning it is possible that you may have a small corneal abrasion from the makeup remover. This usually resolves in 24 hours however you might want to have an examination by an ophthalmologist is your are still having problems tomorrow just to make sure everything is OK>

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. Welcome to chat. Can you see my above posts? Do you have any questions or comments?

Dr. Rick :

I guess you have stepped away from your computer.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.