Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

My boyfriend of 12 years went to the eye doctor yesterday and

My boyfriend of 12 years went to the eye doctor yesterday and was told he has the worst case of astigmatism the Dr has ever seen. His OD is -700, -200, 176, his OS is -625, -300, 178. The Dr. said there's a chance he'll go blind if there's a detachment, which I guess there's a chance with him it could happen some day. I just need to know all I can. Knowledge is power.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer,

Did he see an optometrist or an ophthalmologist?

Did he get a diagnosis other than astigmatism? Lattice degeneration?

Was anything suggested other than glasses?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What happened was his glasses broke and I took him get replacement glasses yesterday. Paul has known he has this problem. He doesn't drive. Never has. He is just now opening up to me about it. Paul, my boyfriend, said he's never had a Dr. spend so much time on his eyes. I'm guessing he's never been to any experts. I know he never even told his parents why he couldn't get his driver's license, so they didn't have a chance to take him anywhere. We don't have insurance on either of us, so not sure I can GET him to go anywhere else right away. I will try though.
Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today. I am an ophthalmologist.
Based on the eyeglass Rx you posted above if this eye "doctor" said that is the worst case of astigmatism he has ever seen you need to do one, very important thing, immediately: Run away. Run away from this "doctor" as fast as you can.

Yes, your boyfriend has high myopia with some astigmatism but it is by no means all that uncommon. Is your boyfriend at a higher then "normal" (ie: those who are not so nearsighted) risk of having a posterior vitreous detachment (very, very different then a retinal detachment) with possible retinal involvement? Yes.

Is this anything to panic about? Absolutely not.
Let me give you a little bit of information about vitreous detachments and retinal involvement so you will know what your boyfriend should look out for:

A PVD, or posterior vitreous detachment, is a common event that happens in many people.

You have a thick gel material in the middle of your eyes called the vitreous. Over time as it liquefies, this gel material collapses on itself, forms little clumps that you can see as dots, lines or bugs. As these clumps form the vitreous pulls away from the wall of the eye. In the process it can stimulate the retina -- causing the flashes that you may see.

It is recommended that you see your ophthalmologist to look at the retina to make sure there are no problems such as a retinal hole or tear. In most cases, there are no problems, but this exam is precautionary and allows for preventative treatment of any lesions that are found.

If you notice a sudden increase in floaters, flashes of light (like a lightning storm), or a shadow/veil in the periphery of your vision, this can be worrisome for a retinal detachment. You would need to contact your ophthalmologist promptly in that case.

I think your boyfriend should find another eye doctor, I suggest an ophthalmologist (MD) for his routine eye care. This way, during his normal eye exams any possible signs of retinal issues can be identified early and, if needed, treated before things become a problem. I really, based on your post, have very little faith in your boyfriends current eye "doctor"

Does this make sense to you?

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)
I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

He told me he has floaters all the time, and that sometimes they are pretty bad. The Dr. did say if he has a major increase to come back. But your right. I need to DRAG him to a specialist. Thank you. I feel better and ready to face this. To go to the next step.

If your boyfriend already has floater, and this makes sense since he is so nearsighted, this can be a good thing. Why? Well, because after a vitreous detachment has occurred, and the jelly has completely pulled safely away from his retina, his risk of a retinal detachment goes down considerably.

I hope this information helps. Please don't hesitate to contact me again if I can be of any further service. And thanks for accepting my answer already :)