Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

my eye duct was blocked & had surgery yesterday. all was a

my eye duct was blocked & had surgery yesterday. all was a success until I blew my nose! forgot I was not supposed to. Now is feals like something is partial blocking my nose. what did i do!?

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

You may have dislodged a blood clot.

Dr. Rick :

was a tube placed in your tear channel? (jones tube)

Customer:

Hi. What did i do?

Customer:

yes

Dr. Rick :

You may have just dislodged a small blood clot. Tell me more about the type of surgery you had. Do you know if it was called a DCR? OK....got it.

Dr. Rick :

Can you feel the tube in the corner of your lower eyelid, next to your nose?

Customer:

no

Dr. Rick :

just gently feel in that area with your index finger....you may have to push a little bit due to the swelling.

Customer:

i think so :)

Dr. Rick :

OK. Let me make sure I am clear on what you had done. Your tear channel was not working and you had a DCR surgery with placement of a small glass tube, called a jones tube. Is this correct?

Dr. Rick :

If you can feel the round, smooth edge of the tube in that area I think you are gonna be OK.....

Dr. Rick :

just don't blow your nose anymore :)

Dr. Rick :

One problem with computer chat is that things tend to run at least one "send" behind lol!

Customer:

no sure of it was a glass tube but deffinately a tube

Dr. Rick :

Ok.....pretty sure it is glass; pyrex actually. Anyway, try to gently breath through your nose now. How is it? Also, any new pain?

Customer:

what if i am not feeling it?

Customer:

no different & a bit sore

Dr. Rick :

Then it may have been blown down inside your nose and will need to be fished out and re-positioned. But that is pretty hard to do so the chances are that you are OK.

Dr. Rick :

sometimes it even gets swallowed......

Customer:

what should i do?

Dr. Rick :

How is the breathing?

Customer:

i feel like there is a "screen" there

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Well. I guess you better call your surgeon and have her take a look at you. The jones tube may have come loose and slipped down deeper into your nose.

Dr. Rick :

Best to have it checked out and be sure, especially after all you have been through up to this point.

Dr. Rick :

With the new fiberoptic instruments it can be fairly easy to located and retrieve a loose jones tube......

Customer:

left a message earlier & go a call back from office while we were chatting. my doctor is in meetings all afternoon & assistant surgeon is in surgery. if i do not get a call until tomorrow will that be a problem?

Dr. Rick :

Of course it would be best to be seen today but I understand how that may not be possible. If it is dislodged it won't be any harder to fix tomorrow then it will be to fix it today. Just try not to sneeze, blow your nose and, most of all, try not to worry too much. These things happen sometimes and, in the long run, you should be OK

Dr. Rick :

Does that make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

Maybe the asst can see you after surgery ends or the primary surgeon can see you after the meeting or, perhaps, slip out of the meeting for a moment?

Customer:

i guess i just want to be sure i have not messed up the surgury (and clear my nose for breathing).. i can only assume if it is a problem i will be hearing back from one of the dr today

Dr. Rick :

I'm sure they will call, but it doesn't hurt to pester them a bit and let 'em know you would really, really appreciated them having a look at you sometime before the sun sets today.

Dr. Rick :

I do, however, think you will be ok when all is said and done.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Customer:

should i go to an after hour clinic?

Dr. Rick :

Only if you can be seen by an ophthalmologist or a surgeon who does DCRs. A general doc will be of little use.....

Dr. Rick :

Try pestering your surgeons office and see if they will "squeeze you in" before they go home tonight.

Customer:

thanks i guess i will wait. thanks for your help! :)

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Best of luck to you. And Remember: Don't worry. There is nothing that you did that can not be fixed.....

Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.