Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

if you have had AION in one eye, is it safe to take Cialis,

if you have had AION in one eye, is it safe to take Cialis, Viagra, or Levitra for use if you have erectile dysfunction? What medication could you use? I am 64 years old have issues with the circulatory system. No heart attacks but stents in both legs near the top of thighs in 2000.
Submitted: 5 years ago via HealthBoards.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

I would believe that if your primary care physician feels that it is safe for you to take those medicines from a systemic vascular point of view then there should be no additional risk from an ocular perspective.

Dr. Rick :

If you were told by your primary care MD to stay away from those meds I'd follow that advice....

Customer:

I go to an MC Associate Professor, Neuro-Ophthalmogogy and Orbital Disease Departments of Ophthalmology and Medicine.

Customer:

My MD is over the Cardiovascular Disease Dept and states that I can take these Meds. What do I do?

Dr. Rick :

If your internal med MD/cardiovascular disease MD feels it is safe for you to take those meds I, personally, would feel that your chances of having an adverse ocular, vascular, problem would be the same as anywhere else you have small blood vessels such as your kidneys, brain etc.

Dr. Rick :

Of course, if a small blood vessel plugs off in your macula you will loose a lot of vision whereas if a small vessel plugs off in your kidney it may not even be noticed......

Dr. Rick :

I would lean toward using the drugs if your regular doc thinks it is safe as long as you understand the risks to your eye. No doctor can predict the future.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.